Beyond Gold Walls

A silence in the throne room masked a swelling anguish, one unmatched by any scream to which the Xian Palace had ever bore witness. A seething heart forced steady breaths from her nose. Crown Princess of the her family’s dynasty, Hong Yuanji, stood before her father’s empty throne. The young girl carried the perpetually weighted burden of routine on her shoulders as heavy as the highly despised huidi-yi she was forced into for ceremony. Her eyes closed in her scheduled mid-afternoon wait. Impatience and a stormy mind had hindered any resemblance of meditation. Yuanji stood still, hands clasped in front of her, head lowered, breathing in the smoky incense that lined the corners of the room. The two thrones in front of her sat unleveled and embellished with elaborate riches. Gold statues, totems, and idols sat around them, none of which flattered Yuanji the way they did the Emperor. Her fingers amongst themselves, fighting to contain the issues that welled within her.

Yuanji clenched at the echoing footsteps traveling closer just outside in the great hall. She breathed in one last soothing breath through her nose before opening her eyes.

“First Princess,” spoke a booming voice from behind her that elicited the urge to close her eyes again.

“Your majesty,” Yuanji spoke, as softly as she had been conditioned. The girl bowed her head before taking a kneel. She stalled in looking up at the man himself, Emperor Leinji of the Hong Dynasty and her father. The man was of brutish build, once a commander for the Gaio infantry, yet has since allowed the life of regality to replace his oxen strength with boarish girth. His eyes stared like fine blades to any who cross their path. Behind him walked in the Empress Dowager Hong Niyu, a woman of ethereal grace. Both monarchs took their places in the thrones before Yuanji. The girl kept her eyes low and held tilted.

“Sima Yi informs me that your studies are progressing well,” Leinji said, his back firmly against the hard, jeweled plates of his throne. “He says you may very well be as prepared for further duties sooner than expected. Would you say this to be true?”

“Yes, your majesty,” Yuanji said, standing upright. “Sima Yi has been especially helpful in my training. I owe him my gratitude.”

“Very well,” said Leinji.

“You will make this family very proud, Yuanji,” said Niyu with a smile. Yuanji shot a smile back to her mother. “Her etiquette as a princess has improved tremendously over the past moons.”

“This is serve you well, Yuanji, in your duties as a Dowager yourself someday,” said Leinji added. Niyu gave a slight glance to the Emperor.

“Or a beautiful, powerful young Empress,” Niyu said.

“I think you, your majesty,” Yuanji said once more, bowing her head. “I will work tirelessly to bring this family great honor.”

“Indeed, you will,” said Leinji. The palace servant, and personal caretaker of Yuanji, Sima Yi, entered into the doorway. The boy, several years Yuanji’s age, bowed before the royal figures. The Emperor gestured to the boy. “Sima Yi. What news have you brought for us today?” Yi stood and entered into the room. He carried a series of books in his arms. The boy stopped just behind Yuanji. Yi stood much taller than Yuanji, a trim young man with muscular posture. The boy fumbled through a series of papers with scrawled messages, flipping through them one at a time.

“Your majesty, trade caravans from the Kanu district are requesting to begin importing leather and cotton along with their wares,” Yi began. Yuanji looked back to him. “The Ming dynasty is expanding again across southern border. Thought you should know that. And the Xian village guards are requesting bigger stables for more horses. What should I tell them?” Leinji sighed.