An Unwanted Visitor

Yuanji’s bed chamber boasted a wafting scent of rare spices. It promoted the girl’s meditation, where she sat in vacant contemplation, summoning a clear and guiding mind, during lengthy moments of solitary. The girl sat in the lotus position on her mat in the center of her room. In place of practicing meditation, Yuanji sat with Sima Yi’s mother’s memoirs in her lap. Her eyes scanned the pages over and over, nearly to the point of perfect memorization. The characters presented painted vast murals of the simple life. Her servant’s, and best friend’s, mother lived a life full in opportunity. Where other women confined themselves to housework and servitude, Sima Fang wrote about life at sea, traveling with soldiers, practicing arts and poetry. The woman saw not only the world beyond Yuanji’s containment, but the world without walls altogether. The woman wrote with a happiness that Yuanji never dreamed of achieving, and still could not bring herself to do so.

‘The wildflower shall not bring the world beauty without the stem pushing it toward the sun. There is no place in this life or any that cannot be made a prison by one nor a home by another.

Happiness of the mind cannot yield to the body’s desires.

Joy of the body cannot satiate a toxic mind.

Both shall become one in perfect balance.

A gracious mind.

A jubilant place.

For true happiness is one’s gratitude to itself.’

A knock rapped at her chamber door. Yuanji looked up, eyes plastered wide. “Hold on,” Yuanji said. She closed the book and threw it under her bed just as the door opened. Sima Yi stepped inside. Yuanji sighed and glared back at him. “I said ‘hold on’.”

“My apologies, your highness,” Sima Yi said. Yuanji gave him a puzzled look.

“And don’t call me that,” said Yuanji. “You don’t call me that in private, remember?” Yuanji paused as she looked back to Yi. The boy stood nervously in front of the closed door. His back slumped. His throat quivered with several deep swallows. Yuanji furrowed her brow as she kept her eyes fixed on the boy. “You only ever call me that when something’s wrong. What is it?”

“The Emperor has requested your attendance in the throne room for an important meeting,” said Yi.

“‘Requested’?” Yuanji asked, standing and brushing off her robe. “My father doesn’t request anything from me.”

“True, he’s commanding it,” said Yi. “His word, not mine.” Yuanji sighed.

“Very well,” said Yuanji. The girl cared for her hair, pulling it back in a tight, formal bun. She glanced over her appearance briefly before turning back to Yi. Yuanji stood dressed in a fine gown, embroidered with gold stitchings of blossomed vines. Her makeup remained from the short meeting she had partook with her parents that afternoon. Sima Yi looked back at her. He smiled a quick smile before his head dropped in concern.

“You are very beautiful, Yuanji,” Yi said. Yuanji looked back with a tilted head.

“Thank you,” said the crown princess. She reserved a smile in looking back at him, suspecting something awful to have befallen her family. Sima Yi led the girl out of her room. He followed her down the palace corridor to the throne room. Guards bowed as she passed. Yuanji’s mind fluttered. She paid her servants no mind, far too enveloped onto what news for which she should prepare. Sima Yi said nothing as he followed. “I suppose you cannot tell me what my father wants?”

“No, I can,” said Sima Yi reluctantly. The pair turned the corner into the palace throne room. Inside stood Yuanji’s father and mother, dressed in their most elaborate gowns. They appeared as more treasure among the rest, soulless flash amidst a deathly futile quest for more riches. With them stood another. It was a young man. He stood with several guards of foreign armor. The man bore regal attire. He stood up with a strong posture as he spoke with the Emperor. A firm jaw hung over a muscular neck. His rugged build poured through his affluent vestments. Yuanji waited in the doorway, staring at the scene in bewilderment. Sima Yi came up behind her. “I just didn’t want to.”