Prologue

It has has been seven years since Samuel was in service to the emperor, because he has become the emperor's right hand man due to the fact that he had been forced to volunteer for an experiment to infuse a man with magic. Of course, in a world where magic has been sealed after a devastating cataclysm, the Aeshopia empire has found a workaround by puncturing a hole into the world of espers. Samuel was lucky to survive the experiment, but it had gave him magic powers that he had trouble controlling until a couple years later. He sat on his chair in his room, looking out the big window that has the view of the city and the cloud covered sky.

"One of these days, I will be able to explore the distant lands and show the emperor that I am very important so that he won't be as insulting as he is" he thought to himself.

His room is rather medium sized, with two bookcases that are crammed with tomes, a fancy rug, a table, a chair, a fancy bed, two braziers that provide light in the room, and few paintings. Despite this lavish room, he sees it like a fancy birdcage that he was cooped up in until he was needed. Then, a guard enters the room bearing a message.

"Samuel, his imperial majesty would like to speak to you" said the guard.

"Tell him I'm on my way" he said, trying to hide his misery.

"I'm dreadfully sorry, but you know how his imperial majesty is: he wants to speak to you now. If I did what you said to me, he will yell at me and order me to bring you to him" the guard apologized.

Samuel sighed, before coming out of his room. In the halls, it was lined with metal plates and pipes that allow steam flow through. He walked down these halls, and went downstairs to the throne room. As he entered the throne room, it has windows at both sides with pipes below. On the throne, there sat the emperor himself in anticipation. The emperor was sixty five years old, with short graying hair, dressed in ornate robe and a crown, but underneath the robes he's rather gaunt.

"Ah, I have been expecting you samuel" said the emperor, stroking his long beard.

"You need of me, your majesty?" Asked Samuel.

"I would like to tell you that our forces have occupied a port town, making it into a base so that we shall invade the kingdom of Meontis. I want you to get on an airship, fly over there, and monitor the troops" explained the emperor.

"You would want me to go to the port town to monitor the troops, but why?" Questioned Samuel, stroking his dark brown colored mustache.

"Why!? Because I want you to be my eyes since you're capable of casting magic, and the troops must be supervisioned! So, get to the airship you moron!" The emperor snapped.

Samuel was taken aback, trying to keep his violent tendencies in check.

"Yes, your majesty" he said with a smile, but deep down he secretly hates the emperor.

"Good, now we're on progress" said the emperor, calming down.

Without a word, he bowed before leaving. At the airship hangar, he boarded the airship that is going to the port town.

"We are going to South Meontis, port town of the Kingdom of Meontis at the continent north from us" announced the attendant.

It won't be a long trip, since the airship is equipped with the technology to make it go faster by applying steam to it. Then the airship got off and flew out of the hangar, heading north towards its destination. As for Samuel, he can see the crew scrambling to get things done while the soldiers sat with each other and playing games to keep themselves occupied. However, he's alone since he never has any friends to support him since he was sixteen. Even when he was a child living in the squalor, the friends he had made are all blurred memories from the experiment.

"Its nice to have friends, but why can't I?" He asked himself, feeling left out upon watching the soldiers talking to each other and playing games.

It wasn't long until the airship descends as it draws closer to the port town, and the attendant announced that they're approaching towards their destination. The airship landed at the harbor, thus allowing soldiers to disembark. Samuel got off the airship and heads down the harbor, he can see that the town itself is beautiful in the sunset. Of course, despite the beautiful scenery, he saw that the townsfolk are miserable due to the imperial occupation. One soldier is yelling at the woman to clear off or there will be consequences, another soldier casually breaks a child's toy, while other soldiers are stationed at the houses. He knew what the soldiers are doing is wrong, but orders from the emperor is to monitor the troops, so he tries to harden himself from all these troubles. When the soldiers saw him, they were scared upon seeing the emperor's right hand man. Not to mention the magic spells he would cast, reserved for when one of them steps out of line.

"Sir, we have positioned in South Meontis and using it as a base. What brings you here, sir?" Asked the soldier.

"His imperial majesty has sent me to monitor the troops, to supervise all of you. You better be on your best behavior, or there will be consequences!" He answered, trying to sound threatening.

The soldier immediately flee back to one house he was stationed at, scared of what magic Samuel would cast on him.

Samuel sighed in annoyance, before walking down the street. At the left, there's a pub where the soldiers go to for drinks and entertainment. He walked towards it out of curiosity, and he saw flyers posted on the wall of the pub. One of the flyers is advertising a pair of twin sisters performing on stage, it reads:

"Come see the Amazing Veldt sisters, live at the sea squid pub. They dance and perform magic tricks, so be there at 8:23 pm".

He moved the sleeve of his shirt to look at his watch, and it shows 7:58 pm.

"It won't hurt to wait" he said to himself.

Authors note: this is my other final fantasy book, and I know that I haven't updated final fantasy the lunar journey for a while. Trust me, I'm getting better at it.