Chapter 11: the traveling performers at Albrook

Two weeks later since the Disaster Council have established their headquarter in the form of a tower, and Samuel have already begun creating monsters to serve as footsoldiers and guards to patrol the former imperial continent. One port city that managed to survive the earthquakes and monster attacks is called Albrook, which was formerly used to dock the imperial sea vessels. It was the largest city, second to what used to be the imperial capital city, where it boasts merchantry and arts. Even when magic is released to the world, Albrook has grown accustomed to anyone using magic along with beneficial creatures living there. It is known for its museum, library, theater, and it's harbor.

An airship has flown over the port city, before landing outside of it. Which made the civilians curious since most airships were destroyed during the cataclysm, except the other airship was used by the emperor. But little did they know that the airship contains a troupe of travelling performers, wanting to perform to lift people's spirits. Meanwhile, at an art museum, Emily and Wayne were sitting at a bench feeling hopeless now that they have failed to prevent magic from being unsealed. Both of them watch as a group of artists, known as pictomancers, use their magic to paint a portrait depicting the scenes of the cataclysm that happened a month ago.

"This is it, we failed our mission and the leader of the rebels has gone missing. We're now living in Samuels world" bemoaned Wayne.

"At least now people has to rely on magic to face off monsters that were unleashed along with magic, not to mention such benevolent creatures like moogles and fairies" said Emily.

"That is true, but you're missing the point. We've failed at preventing the release of magic, which caused a cataclysm that devastated small villages and towns, and even Samuel is now lounging in that tower of his. He's now the only source of magic due to absorbing the essences of the warring triads, eager to destroy everything!" Explained Wayne.

"Hey now! Sure we've failed our mission, but people started to develop their own magic powers and the moogles and fairies are helping people out. The world may have changed, but the magic is improving people's lives" said Emily, optimistically.

Wayne sighed as he got off the bench, walking towards one painting to stare at it. Then he sees a girl putting up flyers on the wall of the lobby, her outfit is rather peculiar. She wore a cream colored fox mask that covers her head, a yellow and orange short dress with long sleeves that almost hides her hands, a fox tail made of cloth attached to her dress, and cream colored cloth boots that reaches above her knees.

 She wore a cream colored fox mask that covers her head, a yellow and orange short dress with long sleeves that almost hides her hands, a fox tail made of cloth attached to her dress, and cream colored cloth boots that reaches above her knees

"Um... excuse me, but what's a strange girl like you putting up these flyers?" He asked, walking towards the girl.

But there's no reply from her, except she turned her head to him. No matter if he repeats the same question, she stared at him silently. Then Emily came, wondering what is going on. Feeling scared, the strange girl gives a flyer before leaving immediately.

The flyer reads:

"Come see the traveling performers Yvette the mime, Eustace the bard, Anne the dancer, and Robert the juggler. Performing at Albrook square around 4:00 pm til 10:00 pm. Get your tickets now at 5g, and act fast because tickets are selling out!".

This gave the duo an idea, they could recruit the traveling performers the same way that Samuel had recruited members of his group. However, Emily doesn't think that they're capable of combat. Therefore, the duo changed their minds and brainstormed for a bit.

Meanwhile, in the tent at the town square.

A young man dressed in a green colored clothing is practicing on his harp, while a woman no older than the age of thirty three is practicing her dancing. Then the fox themed girl came into the tent, feeling exhausted from putting up flyers.

"Ah, Yvette. Welcome back, I take it that you've posted all of the flyers?" Greeted the young man in green.

Yvette, the mime, silently nodded as a response. However, she began imitating the two people she had encountered. She even mimicked Wayne's voice as she repeats his question, in which it scared her.

"Poor thing! I'm sure those two people wouldn't cause any harm, after all, they just wanted to know what you're doing" said the dancer, comforting the mime.

"Come on, let's practice until the public comes here to watch us perform" said the young man in green.

Yvette silently nodded, before practicing her skills in mimicry.

As the hours past, it was now 4:15 pm and crowds of people living in Albrook gathered at the city square. The performance troupe come out of their tent and bowed before the public, apparently, Wayne and Emily were attending to this event. The young man in green, Eustace, began playing his harp while the dancer shows her delicate moves as the music plays. The crowd clapped their hands, enjoying the soothing music and the display of dancing.

Yvette, accompanied with Robert the juggler, put on a show in an effort to wow the crowd. She imitates Robert's juggling, but the crowd was quiet. She even mimicked the sounds of birds chirping and monkeys, which raises the crowds interest. Robert starts juggling again, only for his hand slipped on the Apple and causing the fruit he was juggling to fall on his head. The crowd laughed and clapped, but he felt like he screwed up his act. Yvette imitates his blunder, but with no fruit, the crowd booed at her. To save her from humiliation, Eustace played on his harp again. Unfortunately, the crowd began pelting tomatoes at him.

"Tough crowd, aren't they?" Questioned Wayne.

"I feel bad for the troupe of performers, especially that mime girl" replied Emily.

Authors note: sorry for the delay, I'm having a creative slump but I'm trying to get by.