Chapter 12: the meeting and the introduction of the vocation sphere

Back at the Tower of Rubble, Samuel is holding a meeting with his group to discuss on what to do now they've achieved governance to replace the empire.

"Ok, I've created the monsters that will serve as guards and soldiers. And then there's the port city of Albrook, which was originally under imperial control, that is yet to be under our control. Now, what are we going to do now that there's no one opposing us and acquired everything we wanted?" Asked Samuel.

"Well we could at least make divisions on parts of our council, like me and my sister will be in charge of the entertainment department" suggested Mila.

"Not a bad idea, I will take this as consideration. But I feel like we're missing something, like it'll be boring just sitting around and do nothing but creating monsters and talking to civilians" said Samuel.

"I was thinking we can cause some sort of trouble, like finding foes and burning homes" suggested Tsubaki.

"We could do that, but I want civilians alive. We can burn their homes to teach them a lesson, but even I'm against killing innocent people" said Samuel.

"I have heard rumors that Emily and Wayne are still alive and are having a come back, even though I hate that kid" said Gunther.

Samuel smiled with glee, knowing that there will be opposition that will give him satisfaction.

"Good, at least we might have some fun at humiliating and facing those two remnants of the returners. They will try and foil our schemes, but won't that be fun?" He said with a chuckle.

Everyone agreed, feeling that this will keep them on their toes.

"Now then, Samuel. For the past few weeks, I have been working on a project that might help people" said Bernard.

"What is it, bernard?" Asked Samuel.

The mage reached into his pouch, and pulled out a round peculiar object. This round object is made of metal with a deep blue gem that takes up half of it, has an image of a rod and a conical hat on that gem, and is as big as a baseball. Everyone was astonished upon seeing it, yet they don't know what it is.

"This is my invention, I call it the "vocation sphere". It contains the essence of knowledge, like an instruction manuel, distilled into this form. It copies abilities, outfits, and magic to form into a job class. With this, anyone can take on a job class that can allow them to survive in this world!" Explained Bernard.

"So, wait. Over seventy eight percent of the population has magic, but what will happen if this item you've made suddenly counteracts with their powers?" Questioned Gunther.

"Good question, but worry not. I've tested it on myself, and nothing happens since it practically copies my magic" replied Bernard.

"I would like to try the vocation sphere, just to test it out" said Cherry, feeling curious.

"Alright then, but this is a prototype. I would like to have it back if I'm going to work on it some more, before mass producing it" said Bernard, handing the vocation sphere over to her.

Cherry looked into the vocation sphere, and she felt such energy emanating from it. It envelops her in a soft light, and when it stops, she is now wearing a black dress and a yellow wide brimmed conical hat. Everyone was shocked to see this, but she looked at herself and she was astonished upon seeing her new outfit.

"You've became a black mage, a user of offense magic! Like I said, it copied my powers and it also copied the outfits that corresponds to that job class" explained Bernard.

"So, how do I go back to my default outfit?" She asked.

The mage reached his hand, expecting her to give him the vocation sphere back. She gave him the vocation sphere, and she was enveloped in a soft light again. But this time, she reverted back to her original outfit. This intrigued Samuel, wanting to see if he can make his own vocation sphere.

"What inspired you in making this item?" Asked Samuel.

"Well... This is based on what I've researched about the time before the war that resulted magic being sealed, because there were surviving documents about people using items that bestow job classes similar to my vocation sphere. Unfortunately, during the war, these items were destroyed along with the knowledge of how to make job classes. This was lost knowledge that I've uncovered, and with the return of magic, it is now possible for me to actually make this prototype" explained Bernard.

"Amazing! I never knew it was possible to make a job class" said Tsubaki.

"Hmm... perhaps you can teach me on making my own vocation sphere" said Samuel.

"I could, but it takes patience in making a single vocation sphere" said Bernard.

"Then this meeting is over, we might as well be prepared for when the returners come here" said Samuel.

Everyone nodded, before getting off their chairs and leave the meeting room. Samuel accompanied Bernard into the remnants of the magitek laboratory, in hopes of making his own vocation sphere. But there's one thing: he doesn't know what job class he wants to make. Bernard, however, sat next to a desk that has a box of different colored gemstones and tools. He then shows Samuel that using a half of a metal sphere serves as the base, before inserting it with a clear quartz.

"Now, sir. What kind of job class you want to make?" Asked Bernard.

"I... um... don't know" stammered Samuel.

"It's alright, take your time in thinking about it. Then, try and think if the job class should be offense or support" said Bernard.

Samuel thought for a moment, and began recalling the members of his group and their abilities.

"How about birthday suit?" He suggested.

"Birthday suit!? That's ridiculous! Who wants to fight naked and bare handed!?" Exclaimed Bernard.

"Well... Gunther did, and he's not complaining" he replied.

Bernard sighed, while shaking his head.

"Sir, please try again" said Bernard.

"What about... green mage?" He suggested.

"Alright, that's a good idea. We'll start with that" said Bernard.

And so, Samuel began working on the vocation sphere of the green mage. He then gives the inactive vocation sphere to Mila, and it copied her powers of status ailments. However, what it's lacking is the corresponding outfit for the job class.

Authors note: how was the introduction of the vocation sphere? Fun fact: it's inspired by the asterisk system from bravely default series.