Chapter 7: guarding the paths

The imperial airship headed higher into the sky, to the point that the airship crew can see what looks like a landmass in the distance. It could take several hours to get there, but luckily, the airship itself is equipped with steam powered turbines to make it go faster. It was heading towards the floating landmass, before slowing down and stopping. The airship crew got off the ship and anchored it on the jagged edges of the floating continent, so that the airship doesn't drift away. Then the emperor, Samuel, and the group got off the airship and looked at the sight. The floating continent has grass, flowers of various types, and trees that produce flowers or fruit. Besides the vegetation, there were dirt paths and stone steps that were carved into the ground.

"So, this is the fabled floating continent? It looks rather picturesque and colorful, something I miss in my youth. But that's not what we're here for, we're here to break the seal on magic so I can finally rule the world unopposed. Now, get to it!" Said the emperor.

"Yes, your majesty" replied Samuel, gritting his teeth.

Samuel and others followed the emperor through the dirt path, and along the way, there were traces of human settlements. These traces range from stone foundations of villages to stone statues, possibly where humans from the time of the cataclysmic war used to live there and worship the warring triad. As they walked through the dirt path, they arrive at the three branching paths. Each path lead to the stairs to where the warring triad had to seal themselves along with magic, and whatever the pairs of broken statues that are at the entrances, it seems rather unprotected.

"I can detect strong presence of magic nearby, but I can assure that these broken statues were once used to create barriers to keep anyone from entering further to where the warring triads are at" remarked Bernard.

"How do you sense magic?" Asked Gunther.

"Well, anyone who is born with magic can sense it. After all, I'm from a village full of mages and was a skilled magic user" explained Bernard.

"Me and my sister are born with magic too, but our powers are just illusions and status ailments. We're not good in combat, but we can bewilder our opponents and inflict status ailments" said Cherry.

"Easy for you to say, I wasn't born with magic like all of you. I was infused with the magicite seven years ago, it was even experimental to the point that I managed to survive, but it gave me magic that I had trouble controlling!" Said Samuel.

"Are you all done talking? I want to give some orders with you all" questioned the emperor, in an annoyed tone.

Then everyone gathered in front of the emperor, wanting to hear his orders.

"Alright, each of you shall be in pairs. Guarding each path to keep the meddlesome rebels from interfering the unsealing of magic, and possibly slow them down in the process" explained the emperor.

Samuels group began whispering to each other, since they're not sure if they're even excellent fighters.

"Tsubaki and Bernard, you two shall guard the path to the far left. If any rebel were to take it, cut them down or zap them with magic" said the emperor.

"Alright, now we're talking! I haven't had a fight in some time, I just can't wait to test out my arms to cut my opponents down!" Grinned Tsubaki.

"Must you? Really?" Questioned Bernard, before taking Tsubaki to their assigned path.

"Cherry and Mila, you two shall guard the path to the far right" said the emperor.

"Sister, I'm scared! We're entertainers, not fighters!" Complained Mila.

"I know, but we must do our best. Besides, at least we have practiced our illusion and status ailment magic. We should be able to put on a show, with illusory monsters that we can make realistic attacks that causes status ailments" Cherry assured, before taking her sister to their assigned path.

"Gunther, you shall guard the middle path" said the emperor.

"But... your majesty! Surely, you expect me to fight the rebels by myself!? I don't have a weapon nor armor, so what should I do!?" Questioned Gunther.

"Then use your fists and kicks, just like what monks do in the northern part eastern continent! You're still wearing the waist cloth, that should serve as your armor from any attacks from the rebels! I don't care if you die, you're just a low ranking soldier that is easily been replaced!" The emperor snapped.

Gunther glared at the emperor, now realizing how much Samuel hates the emperor.

"And for you, Samuel, you are going to accompany me up the stairs and to remove the seals on magic!" Ordered the emperor.

Before Samuel can object, the emperor grabbed him by the wrist and forced him to come with him. Even the sisters, the four armed swordsman, and the mutated mage weren't at the scene. But they can hear the emperor's voice yelling, which made them feel sorry for Samuel. The emperor brought Samuel to the stairs leading up, and both of them went up the stairs. Both started to feel nauseous due to magical energy becoming stronger the further they walked up, it's up to the point the emperor wanted to throw up from the powerful intake of magic. But that doesn't stop him from persevering, but even Samuel felt sick from the exposure of magical energy. When the two reached the top, they can see a trio of large statues arranged in a triangle formation.

"At last! I have found the seal on magic! The legends were true all along, the warring triad had to turn themselves to stone to act as wards to prevent magic from causing havoc!" Said the emperor with glee.

The statue at the back depicts a beautiful woman wearing a dress and sashes, while a disc is behind her head. No doubt that this was the goddess from legend, who represents healing and support magic. The statue at right front depicts a bat winged, four armed obese humanoid at the top, but the lower half is a mishmash of different body parts in place of legs. This is no doubt the fiend from legend, who represents status ailment magic. The statue at the left front depicts a feather winged humanoid man wearing armor at the top half, but the bottom half was like an armoured snakelike dragon in place of legs. This is no doubt the demon from legend, who represents offensive magic.

"Now, I must figure out how to break the seal and have the warring triad grant me even more power" Said the emperor as he give a sinister smile.

However, Samuel knew how to break the seal: by rearranging the statues in an disorganized manner. To the point that the warring triad won't counteract their powers, thus letting magic run rampant as it did long ago. Therefore, he has an opportunity to betray the emperor.

Authors note: how was chapter 7? Next chapter is where Samuel finally betrays the emperor and absorbs most of the warring triads powers.