11 - A Unique First Impression.

An Suho and Yeon Sieun were the first to arrive at Seo Changsin's house. Fortunately, Sieun wasn't as anxious as he thought he would be and was able to make the journey with Suho (courtesy of his grandmother, who drove them there). When Changsin met them at the door he thanked them for showing up early, unlike the others.

Sieun kept to Suho during the wait, feeling welcomed and included for what felt like the first time. He couldn't remember how long it had been but his heart knew it had to have been a long time, because as soon as he crossed the threshold of Seo Changsin's family home, Yeon Sieun felt so loved he could have started crying right where he stood.

"Welcome to my humble abode..." Changsin spoke preemptively, filling the gaps between the silences and showing Sieun where everything was—gesturing in the vague direction of things, but Sieun got the picture. From the faded markings on the wall that whispered stories of a childhood well-spent to the occasional family picture his eyes landed on, he could tell that this building was loved, as were the people that lived under its roof.

It wasn't long before the others came knocking; Yi Geumsu and Ha Yun arrived together (not to Suho and Changsin's surprise) and brought with them a multitude of gifts. Yeon Sieun suddenly felt self-conscious about his present for Changsin, to which he gave more thought than he wanted to admit, given its underwhelming size. It remained tucked away in the pocket of his jumper. Now wasn't the time for Yeon Sieun to be in his head worrying about whether his present would be accepted.

Not when An Suho had just left his side to help Geum with the gifts and various ingredients he and Yun had taken the trouble to source. Sieun's hands had no time to shake, nor did his heart race, because the moment Suho left, Ha Yun had taken his place.

"It's nice to see you again, Sieun—have you been well?" Yun smiles, giving Sieun's arm a friendly pat. Sieun nods, feeling himself retreat into muted words and unresponsiveness. He rubs his hands, not knowing what to do with himself, when Yun leads him to the sofa, inviting him to sit down. "I'm sure it wouldn't have been easy to come here; I can tell it's taken a lot out of you—let me know if you need anything, okay?"

And just like that, Yeon Sieun felt a weight lift itself from his back, similar to how he felt when he tore his heart out in front of An Suho, telling him his life story. Ha Yun knew how he felt without hearing it from Sieun, silently looking out for him, conversing idly over the rattling of utensils and clanging of cooking ware that emanated from the kitchen, paired with frequent shouts of 'move over' and 'I'm not in your way, idiot'. Yeon Sieun found himself at ease, fascinatedly enjoying one of the simplicities of youth: friendship.

Kim Manok arrived much later, unbothered by the complaints that showered over him from every direction after unlocking the front door and hurrying inside, shedding his padded layers (one of them being Seo Changsin's coat) and waving to everyone in his vicinity, chaotically flailing his arms about in case he wasn't seen.

"Hello, hello, everybody, I'm late, I know—ask someone else to go shopping for you next time." Manok drags the heavy bags into the house, sighing monstrously as he chuffs, face red from both the cold and the overexertion of his strength. "A little help, please? I'm dying over here!"