The Musician

"We have an important gathering with the higher ups soon, so go buy some music or something!"

"Can't we just... look up music online and play it instead?"

"Don't be stupid! They want to play it on a gramophone for "classiness," and want to see how far modern technology has advanced from older devices."

"How the hell was I-?"

"Just go buy a disk that they'll like!"

--------

That was the exact conversation I had with Subspace about an hour ago, and I still can't find any "good" music at a decent price.

I looked around Blackrock for anything, ANYTHING, but no. Seeing how every music store owner laughs after I mention the word disk.

It's always, "Disk? Were you born a century ago? Disks are extremely outdated, and you're not going to find one here whatsoever. Honestly just pull up some music on your phone, better than using a disk ya frozen-over moron. Get up to date with the future, even an elder should understand!"

So unhelpful, but what can you expect from Blackrock? The cold hearted faction is always inventing ahead of everyone else and getting the official name of "most technologically advanced." I should have known that any non futuristic, Blackrock styled inventions would be thrown away and sent to a dump. Or have the higher ups keep some to showcase and brag about for old times sake. Not to mention how everyone here acts, I know I may seem a "cold hearted mercenary" but even so could these demons all not be so selfish and snobby for once?

I swear on my life that one day, I will bring this faction to ruins. People will be begging for their lives as I slowly obliterate every trace of their oh so proud lineage. Buildings will crash, demons will perish, and Blackrock will finally get what it deserves. Does this heartless faction think that they can get away from the things they've been doing? The lives they carelessly threw away? All without consequences? No. They have my railgun aimed PERFECTLY behind their backs without them even knowing it, waiting for the PERFECT time to take my shot. I hate it here.

...

Either way this sucks. Not a single demon here has what I need, I doubt there's even a disk in Blackrock at this point dammit. Which sadly means one thing.

I have to go to Crossroads to find some.

Though Crossroads isn't exactly bad, it's just a long drive to get there, get the stuff I need and drive back home all at once. I don't have a choice right now however, as the gathering starts tonight and I don't need that pink son of a bitch biting my head off for not doing what he wanted. I got dressed and got on the bus to Crossroads

It took about forty five minutes to arrive here at Crossroads, an annoying waste of time.

I look around the central part of the area, nothing but other demons walking. The Blackrockian side? Nothing, and I kinda expected that, but at least they were nicer. Thieves den side? Had cool instruments but no disks. Lost temple? Way too expensive, cost more than my water bills-. The last place to check is the Playground section, A section I do not look forward to...

Though the war between Playground and Blackrock has ended. That doesn't stop the tension still standing between us. It wasn't uncommon to hear how a few Blackrockians would jump Playgrounders and beat them up in alley ways. Or how Playgrounders would do extremely over the top pranks on anyone who was seemingly from Blackrock. Most demons try to avoid those sides of crossroads purely because of those reasons, not wanting to be mistakenly accused of being from one of the two factions and get pranked or beaten up because of it. I would avoid them too, if not for the prick making me go buy him some stupid music.

I cautiously head over to the Playground area of Crossroads, and I can almost feel the stares on me as I walk through the sidewalk. Groups of demons would glare at me left and right, whispering, plotting. I find the closest music shop near me and head inside.

"Hello? Oh how may I... help you" The shopkeeper from the side already seemed to be eyeing me suspiciously. It wouldn't be surprising if they kicked me out right now.

"I'm looking to see if you guys sell music discs?" I still at least try to ask, in case not all hope is lost.

"Don't sell em" They respond instantly, blandly, boredly.

I take a quick glance around the store, and low and behold, I do indeed see some on racks for display. "Are you sure? I'll take a-"

"Left, you'll take a left, walk forward and get outta my store. Yeah?"

I'm tempted to smack him with the back of my railgun but that would only cause more trouble.

I make my way to leave the store. As I opened the door some sort of paint can above fell over, splashing neon green pain all over me. Followed by a few snickers coming from above. Seems like I was getting pranked, what a surprise. I keep walking down the sidewalk, now getting confused glances rather than threatening ones. This day keeps getting more miserable as it goes on. I honestly don't know why Subspace won't send one of his Biograft's to do his work rather than me. I'm sure he'd prefer it once he tries it.

As I gloomily keep walking down the street, I hear music?

Curiosity takes over and I start to walk towards the music, as it slowly gets louder and more clear with every step I take.

Eventually I come across a green demon doing a street performance, him breakdancing on a cardboard mat, his boombox playing the tunes as he dances in sync with the music. His visor expression changing along with him was also pretty cool to watch. A nice touch.

Eventually his performance ends, and I put some bux in the bowl near him.

"I appreciate that dude!-... You look nice-" He says wearily, most likely about how green I am from the paint.

"Nice performance"

"Thanks..."

I can't help but see he looks kinda nervous, maybe even scared for some reason. It's probably better if I leave the poor guy alone.

"Do you know any music stores here?"

"Oh yeah! There's a good few here. There's even one over there a couple blocks down the street if you wanna check that out" He says gesturing to the music store I visited earlier.

"I think i'll check out a different one.."

"Oh okay... say is there any type of music genre you like."

"Why would I waste my time listening to music?"

"Huh? If you had to choose one, though."

"I guess I used to listen to Metal back in my young days."

"Nice... but uh. Why are you looking for a music store if you don't wanna listen to music?"

"It's something for my co-worker. He needs a disk or some crap and told me to get it."

"Ohhhhh! What kind of genre?"

"Maybe classical? Damn I don't know. The idiot didn't even tell me"

"One minute!"

I watch as the green demon lifts the cardboard mat up, to reveal... Music disks?! How are they not broken?-

"I have two friends who give me free copies of the songs they make, a good few could be considered at least classical. I wouldn't mind selling you some for a decent price." He says with a smile on his face.

Instantly, I start asking about the prices and what I can buy, and not even a few minutes later, I have the disks! Which I store safely in my coat.

"Thank you so much, I really needed these."

"No problem dude!"

I quickly start to head back to the bus stop. Trying to get back in time for the event.

As I get on the bus, the driver looks at me confused as to why I'm green but doesn't seem to question it.

I sat down finally being able to relax after trying to get these disks for so long, and was lucky to have found a random demon who was willing to sell me some.. perhaps not everyone in Playground is so bad.