The Knife & Cook

**Vincent's POV**

Everything was okay until Rody cut his finger on some trash while taking it out. I lashed out and slapped him. I cursed my whole existence- I NEED waiters. If Rody leaves and Y/n's on his own again, I'll never make a profit!
I wrapped his finger, promising I'd get someone else to clean up his... Mess... He walked out with a slight frown after asking me some questions, and I watched through the hole I had drilled in the wall, watching the two interact. Y/n seemed to be concerned, cradling Rody's hands in his own, frowning slightly.

**Y/n POV**

I can't believe I let this happen. I'M the one who's supposed to take out the trash. It was supposed to be ME. I can't let Rody get hurt anymore, I don't want him to die. He has so much t live for, even if Manon's gone.

**(back to) Vince POV**

Part of me raged on the inside, while the other watched as the two got along. Emotions were confusing. No, they ARE confusing.
I thought I had rid myself of them long ago, but watching as they talked to each other... It made me jealous. They had never talked to me like anyone other than their boss, though in retrospect, it makes since.

I put my ear up against the hole but seems as if they've moved onto another topic as Y/n cleaned a table, and Rody inserted a meal ticket. "You don't TOAST pbj, Rody! You just EAT IT!" Y/n criticized. Rody stuttered, "W-well, I didn't know!"
Y/n questioned loudly, "HOW DO YOU EVEN BURN A SANDWICH?!" and Rody replied, "I DON'T KNOW!!" They didn't talk for a while after that, just taking orders as a comfortable silence filled in between the two of them. 

After a while, a small wheeze escaped from Y/n, and Rody turned and asked, "What?" Y/n laughed, and Rody just stood there, confused. "I can imagine you holding the burnt sandwich up, before taking a bite, spitting it out, and throwing it in the trash."
"That's odd, because that's exactly what I did." Rody replied, and then, he joined Y/n, laughing. I glared at them. 'So this is what they've been doing while I watch the cooks make food... Wait, the cooks! I've been distracted for way too long!'

I quickly got back to standing in the corner... Waiting for something to happen.

**Rody POV**

Y/n's an amazing friend. Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without him. Taking on this job with him is already tough- but doing it alone?? I couldn't imagine. The shifts seemed to go on by faster with small talk. He was always interesting. Of course, I know he lies about his scars, but I don't really have a right to ask, so it's okay.
When I asked about the one on his neck, all light in his eyes disappeared. It was like he was witnessing a memory of the day it happened. When he got back to his senses, he responded quietly, "A close friend... She didn't know, and I never told her... But it still hurt. When I told others I had gotten chocked, they thought it was an exaggeration... A joke..."

I had a feeling he didn't lie this time...

I patted him on the shoulder, and he flinched, before looking back up at me gratefully. He stared at me for a split second, before asking, "Have you ever considered getting your ears pierced?" I didn't know how to respond.
I'd considered it several times, but never actually had the guts to do so. Y/n smirked, pulling out a needle and a set. The earrings were black, small, triangular shaped studs. 'W-where'd you even get those from??" I asked, my voice going an octave higher.

Y/n chuckled darkly, "I've had them in my shirt pocket the whole time without knowing. When I saw them, and saw you, I knew it'd fit your vibe." Wait a second- "Vibe?" I asked, and he pointed to his own ears, showing silver colored circles and says, "I've had these for a while, I thought you knew. Plus, having spares gets boring."
My eyes lit up, betraying my fear of needles- but I was distracted by someone calling for us. "Crap- still have to serve! I'll see you after the shift. Your place tonight?" Y/n nodded, and I fed in another meal ticket while giving a customer his dessert. Y/n met back up with me and asked, "Do you want to take out the trash WITH me today, so I can make sure you don't get hurt?"

I nod. We push open the door, only to be greeted by Vince yelling at one of the cooks. "WHO THE H3LL DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?!" Vince shouts, and I almost answer in shock (and confusion), but Y/n covers my mouth. I let out a muffled squeak, but it went unheard.
The cook tried to apologize, but Vince cut him off before he could say anything else. "A sorry doesn't fvcking cut it, now does it?? Do you think a dish like that could be acceptable in my kitchen?!" The cook once again tried to respond, but Vince just wasn't listening.

"THEN WHY DID YOU MAKE IT?!" Vince growled, and the cook tried (and failed) to get a good enough excuse. "YOU DON'T KNOW??" The poor cook had only been trying to resolve the conflict, but instead, he got an insult and a face full of fire.
We watched the scene go on, and when Vince stomped back to the corner, Y/n let out a breath I bet he didn't realize he'd been holding. "I'll take the trash, you go serve. The people are starting to get pissed off." I tried to convince him otherwise, but he was already gone. It was just like with the umbrella, and I was absolutely helpless.

Y/n came back after a few minutes, but it was enough to make me sweat, scared for his life. "He seems to have cooled now; you can take the next trash run if you'd like." Y/n replied, and I nodded, not trusting my voice.
It was known to get high pitched or shaky when I was nervous or lying. More orders, until the trash was full again. I looked at Y/n, and he gave me a thumbs up. I picked up plates and walked into the kitchen. It was deathly quiet, and the chef was nowhere in sight.

Instead of his usual corner, he was outside. After I had thrown away trash, a thought infiltrated my mind, and I just had to ask: "Are you single?" Vince's first defense was, "Why do you ask?"
I shrugged and said, "I dunno, you probably get a lot of ladies, you have a stable job and make thousands. You could just hire a manager and settle down, but you insist doing nothing but watching. Watching the cooks make the food, watching for any slip ups..." He seemed slightly angry, but not upset, as if he hadn't realized that Y/n and I saw what happened back there.

"So?" he questioned, "I don't need petty romances I have all this; and I do it all for me. Isn't that enough?" I muttered under my breath, "Yeesh, suit yourself."