Thief Chapter 3

Point of View: Mikey

I sat at a lunch table, alone. I picked at the skin of the apple I had brought with me. We were running low on food, and Gerard wasn't going to get payed until the end of the week. I didn't mind too much. I was used to it. I ate the apple, and stuck my earbuds into my ears. I cursed silently. One had gone out, and I couldn't afford another pair. 

The bell rang, signaling the end of lunch. The second half of the day passed slowly. It was the kind of day that even though you could have sworn it had been 10 minutes, when you looked at the clock, only 2 had gone by. I sighed, and drummed my pencil on my desk. 

At the end of my last class, I grabbed my bag before shoving my hands back into the pockets of my hoodie. I was halfway down the stairs at the front of my school before I saw him. I froze. I began to shake. I had to do this. I promised Gee. I braced myself, ready to walk towards him.

Through some strange twist of fate, he looked over, and saw me. High school guy, as I guess I was now calling him, excused himself from his friends and started to walk in my direction. I looked over my shoulder, sure there was a friend of his standing behind me. When I saw that there wasn't, at least as far as I could tell, my first instinct was to put my head down and walk in the other direction, but I couldn't do that. I promised Gee.

High school guy walked with purpose, almost a sort of strut. He was clearly comfortable with where he was, and confident with who he was. After he left, the group of friends he was talking with quieted, like he had been the center of the conversation. He waved at 3 different people on his way over to me, which was only like 20 feet from where he had been standing. He was cool. He was cool, and confident, and popular, and he was walking towards me.

He stopped in front of me, a big smile on his face. If I had thought he was attractive before, his smile made it next to impossible for me to breathe. I figured I should smile back, because I was trying to make a good impression, so I tried. It probably came out looking more like a grimace. I felt like I was going to throw up.

"Hi! I'm Pete. Pete Wentz. We, uh, bumped into each other a couple days ago," he, Pete now, said.

I blushed. Which was strange, because I didn't know I could  blush. "Um, sorry," I mumbled, because a) I have no personality and b) what was I even supposed to say to that?

"No no, it's ok," Pete said, back to grinning. Which was kind of a strange thing to say, because it was absolutely not OK, and I was pretty sure we both knew it. 

"I, uh, I'm Mikey," I offered, because I wasn't too keen to continue the whole pick-pocketing train of conversation.

"I know,".

"Wait, what?" I asked, because, wait, what?

"I asked around. Not all that many people know who you are, which is kinda strange, but I asked Jessica, the girl who sits next to you in English, and she told me," Pete elaborated, still confident as ever.

"Oh. Uh, why?" I asked, because it seemed to be a valid question.

"Because you're cute and I wanted to get to know you," .

"Oh," I said. "Wait, what?" I said again. Pete giggled. 

"Hey, do you want a ride home? I always see you walking, and I have a car, so," Pete offered me.

"I- No, thank you," I mumbled. There was actually nothing I wanted more than a ride home, alone, with Pete Wentz, but there also wasn't anything I wanted less than for him to see my house. He would probably never talk to me again.

"Oh, ok. What did you say your last name was?" Pete asked, looking slightly disappointed that I turned down his offer.

"I didn't. But, uh, it's Way. Mikey Way," I said.

"Well, I'll see you around, Mikeyway," Pete said, before he smiled at me one more time and returned to his friends. 

I almost ran home. I threw the door open to reveal a very surprised Gerard. "He said I was cute!" I yelled at him. 

A/N I haven't been updating much, but since it's summer and I have both access to a computer and nothing else to do, I'll probably be updating more often. Sorry about that. And thanks for all the views! I don't know when that happened, but I guess a lot of people are reading this, much more than I expected. You guys are awesome <3