𝐎𝐍𝐄

She tred upon a shifting landscape, a maze of shadows untangling beneath her hesitant steps

She tred upon a shifting landscape, a maze of shadows untangling beneath her hesitant steps. The air, thick with echoes, whispered secrets unheard of. Moonlight pierced through the twisted silhouettes, revealing a path that beckoned her forward.

As she ventured deeper, a distant murmur bellowed like a fading storm. Shadows clung to the fringes of her consciousness, dancing on the periphery of memory. Yet, with each step, a strength welled within.

The labyrinth crumbled silently behind her, unveiling a boundless expanse of open space. The moon, now a silent witness, cast its glow upon an endless sea. She stood at the edge, the cool breeze caressing her face.

For a fleeting moment, she tasted the sweet allure of freedom.

A groan rumbled in her throat, resisting the rapid movements on her right shoulder. She curled up further into herself with a sharp inhale, her eyes cracking open.

"Elena," came a soft voice.

With a thick swallow, Elena moved back to see the familiar face of Pat Bonham, leaning over the back of the sofa she had passed out on.

"Morning," Pat gently greeted once Elena had mustered up the strength to pull herself up. Her eyes were still squinted, adjusting to the daylight.

Elena cleared her throat, bringing her knees up to her chest. "G'morning..." she replied, though it only came out as a hoarse whisper.

"I've brought you a cup of tea." Pat set the mug of tea down on the coffee table. "It's just past 9." Elena nodded, accepting the courteous gesture that she was used to from her. It even evoked the smallest smile when she noticed the perfect colour of the tea. Pat always knows.

"Thank you," Elena looked up at Pat, her face still flushed and eyes still red. The former pulled her eyebrows into a sympathetic furrow, followed by a smile of the same candour. "I-I'm sorry for just showing up like I did."

Pat was quick to shake her head and perched on the edge of the sofa arm, gently rubbing along Elena's back. "There's no need to apologise, love. You did what you had to do."

Elena didn't have a chance to respond, as any thought of one was abruptly cut short by the small, blonde Bonham boy darting into the room.

"Aunty Ellie!" The boy bound into Elena's arms, barely giving her the opportunity to open them for him. "When did you get here?!"

"Jason," Pat sighed, delicately scolding her son, "Mummy and Aunty Ellie were talking. You know it's not polite to interrupt."

Jason looked up at his mother with an instantly apologetic expression. "Sowwy, Mummy."

Jason's presence never failed to lighten Elena's mood, and God only knew that she needed it.

"It's okay, sweetheart, just try not to do it again, okay?" Upon receiving a nod from Jason, she continued. "Why don't you go wake up Daddy and tell him the coffee's ready?"