𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

˗ˏˋ ♡ ˎˊ˗

Elena's heart pounded with an urgency that defied control.

Not a single utterance pierced the air during the entire journey with John, the car navigating a path all too familiar—an unwelcome route leading to a place laden with memories she fervently sought to avoid.

The nauseating grip tightened, every palpitation threatening to dislodge the contents of her stomach. Tranquility seemed a distant prospect, and the turmoil within her hinted at a precarious tipping point.

Endless scenarios paraded through her mind, a relentless procession of possibilities. She longed for simplicity—an in-and-out, a resolution neatly packaged and concluded. That's all it needed to be. Yet, a deep-seated intuition whispered that simplicity would elude her. It would stretch, twist, and linger far beyond necessity.

In no way, shape, or form, would David entertain brevity. Not today.

Beyond the apprehension surrounding David's reaction to this clandestine mission, to merely collect clothing and cherished mementos, there lingered a reluctance, a hesitant acknowledgement of John's presence. Despite the depth of trust she held for him, a trust entirely unparalleled, it failed to nullify his actions when under the influence of either one of two things—alcohol, or emotion.

Elena had yet to divulge the whole truth about her tumultuous relationship with David, and wouldn't until she never had to see the man again. John, though privy to odd reactions to loud noises and sudden movements, remained unaware of the intricate web of torment. If John learned the full extent of David's malevolence, he wouldn't be accompanying Elena to retrieve her belongings; he'd be behind bars.

In their childhood, it demanded every ounce of Elena's energy to sway John from the precipice of violence. Those boys, stationed defiantly across the courtyard, seemed hell-bent on making it their life's mission to underscore the fact that Elena wasn't as thin as the other 14-year-old girls at school. A relentless daily reminder that required her utmost effort to dissuade John from unleashing a physical retribution that, in her eyes, wasn't worth it. Every. Single. Day.

In a lot of ways, she would have preferred to relive the secondary school taunting than experience another 30 minutes of David. What John would do in light of knowing the whole story was a scary thought, and one Elena wasn't prepared to even prosper.

"El?"

John's voice brought her out of her head for a moment, and she realised they were pulling up outside the block of flats she hadn't returned to in a fortnight. Swallowing thickly, she willed herself to look at him.

"Are you alright?" his brows narrowed, eyes gleaming into her soul. She gave him a pathetic nod. "Y'know I can always go in myself, if ya just tell me what to pick u–"