𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄

It was a journey they had taken many, many times. John behind the wheel, Elena right beside him.

And they were taking it again. For the first time in over a year and a half.

It was a journey that should have been full to the brim with energy, just like every other time they took it. But there was just something...

Slightly...

Off.

Elena remained virtually silent since they hit the road, en route to the studio. Seated close to the door, she clutched her body tightly, shoulders tensed, and gazed out the window with frozen eyes, fixated on the passing blur of scenery.

John sensed the palpable tension emanating from her, an unease that felt unfamiliar. For a moment, he worried he had inadvertently done something wrong, questioning if she regretted joining him for rehearsal. Despite the silence, an odd smile played on her lips whenever he shared details about Jason or recounted offbeat stories about the States, dispelling his concerns.

Elena operated like clockwork, strategically easing the tension caused in John with a forced chuckle or sideways smirk. It wasn't intentional; the past few years had trained her in the art of deflection, though it couldn't entirely mask the discomfort lingering in John's car.

She despised feeling this way in the presence of her best friend, a rare moment that fuelled her resentment towards him. She blamed him for making her feel this discomfort. However, her rational thoughts occasionally surfaced, acknowledging that these fears were implanted by David. Her defence mechanisms promptly pushed aside these thoughts, trapping her in a cycle that grew increasingly exhausting. Despite her initial belief that fleeing the way she did would solve everything, she now recognised its naivety.

John, as gently as possible, attempted to break the silence in the car. "D'you want the radio on, El?" Much to his shock, she shook her head. Denying the therapy of listening to music—something she'd done for as long as he'd known her. "You sure?"

"Yeah..." she mumbled. Not once did she avert her gaze back over to John. Her eyes were heavy. She was just so tired. Physically, mentally, emotionally... it all showed through the fatigue in her composure. Truly, she didn't care if John put the radio on, or not. But she was specifically asked, so the answer was a resounding no. Music makes you thicker than you already are, Elena. She shut her eyes, wanting nothing more than to block out the echoes that had ingrained themselves into her memory, but she knew they wouldn't be tamed so easily.

"John..."

"Hm?"

She swallowed, feeling her throat becoming dry. "Are..." She stumbled on her words. "Is... are you sure it's okay that I'm coming with you?" Her voice was small. Timid, even.

Her question took him by surprise, and he had to take extra care to not veer off-road in his shock. Averting his gaze the best he could, he scrunched up his eyebrows. "Wh—Elena, what are you on about?" He let out a laugh. "Of course it's okay you're coming with me, has it ever been a problem?"