Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One

For the third time, I stood at the entrance to Eremith. The arch rose high into the air, unintelligible runes running patterns over the stone. Gavin instructed a nymph to guide us, not sparing any time for explanations, except to tell us that Abelard would undoubtedly accept the treaty if Therin was eliminated.

King Gavin was kind enough to lend me a cloak that hid my ridiculous clothes. Though it didn't help that it was his cloak.

Our nymph guide passed underneath the arch, and I followed. Hadrian made his way hesitantly into the valley behind us.

When we reached the tunnel, I stopped when I realized that Hadrian wasn't following us. I turned, examining the gypsy. Just as before, his eyes were wide and haunted. What made him act like this? Was it something about the tunnel—something dangerous surrounding it?

Before I could ask, he shook himself and passed through the tunnel so fast that I had to jog to keep up with his long strides.

We entered the city of glass without stopping to rest. The streets were as full as before, and I knew that the nymph didn't activate the warning spell Mayra spoke of—whatever that was. The clear wall that encircled the city shimmered in the sun as we moved. Several looks of curiosity mixed with wariness passed our way, but even with all the attention, I was glad that Mayra wasn't here flaunting herself about the place.

Mayra... Gavin explained to me that the others had been saved from the castle, but the only information he gave me afterward consisted of, "They'll be here soon."

The kingdom of Nor was irreparable, and when we had crossed the path to Eremith earlier, I saw several wagons filled with refugees making their way along the border toward the neighboring villages. Hadrian had stared at the refugees for the longest time, and I knew he was thinking of his caravan.

The man in question was a quiet lump of moodiness next to me. I glared at the gypsy from time to time, but he never said anything. As we continued down the streets of Eremith, a centaur galloped past us. He was covered in blood and panting heavily.

My heart started to pound, and before I knew it, I was running to catch up to him. Whatever information that centaur had, it must have been about what happened in Nor. I needed to reach the tower before he created mass panic in the council.

Hadrian yelled out my name behind me, and I heard a sigh of exasperation as he apologized to our guide and caught up to run beside me.

The tower came into view, and as we burst into the courtyard, I spotted Dhiren and Laxen speaking with the centaur at the base of the stairs. Laxen's voice said it all: "What?"

"It's true," the centaur panted, his hand gripping his side. "Therin commanded an army in the Norian kingdom. And the Barghest—the creature of darkness. He controlled it—" He paused, collapsing to the glass. Blood dripped from long gashes on his flank. I stopped in my tracks when I saw the black tinged lining around them. His wounds were poisoned.

Dhiren saw us and raised his eyebrows in surprise before turning his attention back to his kin. "What hurt you, Arlin?"

"Fairies," he gasped. As Dhiren's eyes widened, Arlin continued, "There were traitors, Dhiren. Mais, Helix—so many of them. On his side."

As Dhiren ordered for a healer to be fetched, I stood there next to Hadrian, who glanced at me worriedly. We both knew that this would mean war. It was what Gavin wanted, but what would the cost be? Hundreds of lives? Thousands?