Chapter Fifty-One (Part 2)

(This is the second update after my hiatus; if you haven't read the full chapter of this, go to Part 1 before this.)

Chapter Fifty-One (Part 2)

Astera moved toward the pool and stared down at it. I joined her. The setting sun sparkled on the crystal water. Our reflections bounced off, rippling with movement beneath the water. So there were naiads here. With their queen at my side, they wouldn't dare torment me.

I glanced sideways at Astera. In the sunlight, she seemed so frail. A small scratch marred her soft cheekbone and bandages peeked out from her crimson dress. I remembered her lying in a pool of blood after Therin stabbed her. I almost lost her.

I startled myself with that thought. When had I thought of Astera as being someone to lose?

Astera must have noticed me looking at her because she turned to me with a smile. I avoided my gaze and bit my lip. How could I speak to her? I had almost failed to protect her. Eremith would fall without her.

"I am glad my son has you, Lannie," she said.

I nearly choked on my own spit. I rubbed my chest with my hand. "Ahem. Yes."

Astera laughed again. "I sent him to Gavin and Philippa to protect him from Therin," she said, "and I feared it had all been for naught. With this oncoming darkness, I cannot protect my son. But with you at his side," she said, "it is possible."

"He isn't coming with me to Balua," I said. Even as my words came out, they pierced me like shards of glass. "He has to stay here to rule his people. In Aria." I hesitated. "Or Eremith."

Astera smiled as if it were a secret she kept to herself. She twirled a silver bracelet around her wrist. "I taught him magic," she said.

I stared at her. "What?" I remembered the magic Titus used to fight the Barghest.

And a sylph was there to guide me. She only taught me simple spells, however.

I gawked at Astera. "It was you?"

"It doesn't take much to change your appearance when you're the queen of Eremith."

I couldn't help but laugh. "He doesn't know it was you," I said. "Why keep it from him?"

She chuckled, but her face was full of a mother's pain. "He will never belong here," she said. "He is best suited to rule Aria. I have failed in protecting him too many times."

"Why did you leave him, Your Majesty?" I asked. "Why did you give him to Gavin and Philippa?"

Astera fingered the sleeve of her dress. "I was accused of murdering Titus's grandfather—Gavin's father—because I failed to save him from Therin's assassin. I was there to make a peace treaty with Aria," she whispered, "but it was all useless when King Ewyn was murdered. They thought it was me. Even Gavin suspected me."

I waited for her to continue. She inhaled shakily. "They discovered the assassin because of me, and Therin vowed to kill my firstborn child because of that intervention. I was not afraid then because I did not know I was pregnant." She shook her head. "That is why I sent Titus to Gavin. Little did I know that Therin had been there the entire time."

She put two fingers to her forehead. Her jaw trembled.

A nervous streak clenched my heart. "We cannot know what is ahead of us," I said. "All that matters is that Titus is alive. And he loves you," I added. "Isn't that enough?"

"My son does not love me," Astera said bitterly. Tears fell down her cheeks. "After I abandoned him for nineteen years, how could he?"

I grasped her arm. "Titus," I said, "loves you more than you could ever know. All he wants is your acceptance."

"What nonsense are you spouting?" she snapped, making me recoil. "I have accepted him since he was born."

I stared at her weeping. Her sorrow mirrored Titus's own. "You need to tell Titus that," I said gently, "because he doesn't know how much you care."

She looked up. Tears trailed down her cheeks. "You are sure of this? He will not reject me?"

"I am positive," I said. "Just tell him."

Astera sniffled and dashed the tears from her eyes. "Very well." She brushed her hands over her skirt. "I must go," she said briskly. "It is unacceptable for a queen to cry."

And before I could say anything, she walked away.

I knelt before the crystal pool and touched the surface of the water. My own reflection stared back at me. It was a girl who had been entrusted to save the world. I smiled. At least Titus would be safe from the dangers this girl would encounter.

Even as I thought it, a sharp feeling of loss trickled into my heart. It felt as though I was sailing on the water, slowly floating into the clear depths, away from the prince I loved.

— — — — 

A/N:  I have much love for this chapter.  ♥ Thank you for all your comments on the previous chapter. I really missed you guys!