"Sweet Briar"

Omniscient

An anticipating silence was welcomed throughout the club as her name was announced. And just then, the velvet curtains parted.

Tonight's gown was a silk and flowy emerald green dress, embroidered with a golden flower at the cinched waist. The dress was semi backless, with its long silk straps tied around her neck and hanging to her shapely behind.

Instead of flowing down, the singer's hair was in a curly updo, accentuating her structured jawline. And her makeup had the audience thinking she was some sort of goddess. Just like every night, she looked captivatingly unreal.

As the audience's applause died down, the intro to tonight's song began.

"In a sentimental mood..." she sang, her voice thick with emotion. "I can see the stars come through my room..."

Like they did every night, Journee's eyes scanned the room, briefly holding contact with a few people just for effect. And as they seemed to do lately, they paused on one set of eyes in particular.

It seemed as though Tiana was entranced once again, despite her best efforts. Journee never failed to internally have her jaw on the floor and her eyes instantly fill with awe. Everytime those curtains would part, she couldn't help but stop whatever she was doing to watch, much like everyone else in the room.

Surely everyone else in the room had to feel the same way she did when watching the woman on stage as well...

"In this sentimental bliss, you make my paradise complete..." Journee finally drifted her gaze elsewhere, releasing Tiana from her enchanted hold. "Rose petals seem to fall, it's all I could dream to call you mine..."

"Uh, miss?" The man at her table called, having her attention snap to him. "Did you hear my order??"

"I'm sorry, I must've checked out a second." Tiana readied her notepad once more, trying to shake the stunning image of Journee from her mind. "That's my bad Sir, you go ahead."

"You fine," he smiled. "I'll have the Cajun wings as my appetizer. Then the fried shrimp platter for myself and a caesar salad for the lady." He motioned to the woman sitting next to him, who looked as if that wasn't what she really wanted to order.

Mentally huffing a breath, Tiana smiled while noting the order. "That all for you?"

"That'll do it-" She turned to walk away. "Oh- can I have another scotch darlin'? Thank you."

Continuing to the back, the woman muttered under her breath. "And what if I just said no??" She mocked. "Asshat."

~~~~~~~~

After her performance, Journee made her rounds throughout the room before heading to her dressing room.

But before she could leave, she heard a familiar voice call out to her. She spun on her heels to its direction, then emitted an excited smile.

"Well don't you look beautiful," Franklin chuckled as she ran into his arms, giggling. "And you sounded it too- look at you!" He held her waist at a distance as she cupped his face.

"You saw the whole thing?"

"Of course I did- wouldn't miss it for the world babygirl." Franklin kissed her forehead as Journee hugged him again. "I like this club too. It's rather classy for black folks."

They locked arms while going to take a seat at an empty table.

"I thank James for that," Journee sighed. "He found this place for me. Made it permanent."