Proluge

A young child, around 8 years old, was sitting on the sofa in front of the TV, watching some animated shows. His messy auburn hair hid his big green eyes which were wide in awe as he watched the hero called “Batman” defeat the bad guys and save the day again.

“Awe, what's my little sunshine doing?” a woman in her early 30s said as she entered the room. She had long auburn hair which was tied in a braid and green eyes.

“Oh, I'm-I'm just watching this show.” The kid replied to her, his mother.

“Oh. You like shows about vigilantes?” his mother remarked with amusement.

“What's a vigilante?” he asked out of curiosity.

“A vigilante is a person who works outside legal rules in order to extract what they consider justice by themselves forcefully.” his mother replied.

“So, they break rules?”

“In a way, yes.”

“Mom,” The kid said,“If they break rules, why are vigilantes considered good then? Isn't breaking rules bad?”

“Yes me son, breaking rules is bad. But sometimes, in order to do the right thing, rules have to be broken. Things have to be done outside the rules.”

“Anyway, I have to go do an errand now. We'll talk again at dinner, okay?”

“Okay!” The kid cheerfully replied.

The mother just giggled and planted a kiss on his forehead before leaving.

But neither of them knew it would be the last time they saw each other.

26th March, 2015. 9:15 PM.

Police sirens blared through the quiet night as police officers swarmed around a warehouse at the port. A Toyota Camry XV50 approached the scene, stopping just outside the police police tape. The car door opened, and a blonde woman dressed in dark coloured pants and vest, light blue shirt, amber coloured tie and a dark brown coat stepped out and walked over to the scene.

Seeing her, two officers quickly approached her.

“Ma'am, you're not authorized to...” One of them attempted to stop her, but she cut him off as she pulled out an ID and held it up.

“Astrid Hofferson. B.S.D.I. I'm here to investigate the scene.” She told them.

The officer's eyes widened hearing that and they immediately stepped back.

“Sure, Agent Hofferson. This way.” One of them said as they led her inside the warehouse.

Astrid stepped inside the warehouse. There were officers walking around and taking notes of the situation, forensic experts collecting samples of possible evidence. One of the officers that had escorted her quickly went over to the senior investigator, informing him about the arrival of Astrid.

“Agent Hofferson.” The Senior investigator greeted her.

“Officer.” Astrid replied,”So, what's the situation?”

“The same as always.” The Senior investigator said as he led her deeper in the warehouse,”Some are dead, some are beaten to pulp and the whole organization is down for the count.”

“Who is the unfortunate gang this time?” Astrid questioned.

“It's the Falcon cartel. Well known for their activities in drug trade and illegal weapon selling. It's suspected that they might be even involved in human trafficking too.”

“Hmphh.” Astrid hummed in response as she looked around, taking in every detail of the surroundings.

There were blood stains here and there, and markings on the floor where the dead bodies were once laying before they were taken away for postmortem. Open crates containing packets of white powder could also be seen.

“We've already taken in the goons that were still alive. We'd hand them over to B.S.D.I after some questioning of our own.” The Senior investigator said, noticing her gaze. “This place must have been a storage place where they keep their drugs and other illegal items. It appears they were in the process of taking their goods when they got ambushed.”

“Anything missing?” Astrid asked.

“Doesn't seem so. We checked everything and did a double check too, for extra precaution. Everything seems to be here.”

Astrid slightly nodded as she took in the Information as they kept going.

“Now,” The Senior investigator suddenly turned towards her,“Let me warn you, what I'm about to show you isn't something you see every day, Miss. So, you might wanna steel your nerves.”

Astrid was curious at this statement, and followed after him as he led her deeper inside the warehouse.

“We're here.” He suddenly informed her.

Astrid looked up forward and gasped. In front of them, a dead body of a male was hanging from the ceiling with a rope around his neck. The dead body of none other than the infamous leader of the Falcon cartel, Jimmy Falcon.

The latest victim of Nightfury.