Traces

A car crashed into an abandoned five storey residential building.

5 armed men dressed in dark coloured puffy jackets and jeans, with black ski masks covering their faces. Two of them had a large bag slung over their shoulder. The men quickly rushed inside the building, keeping an eye behind them to ensure they weren't followed.

They climbed up the stairs quickly, finding themselves on the second floor and went inside one of the apartments.

"What the hell man! That was scary!" One of the bags carrying one said, his voice trembling in fear.

"Shut up, Moe. It's not time to get scared." Another one with a pistol in his hand, clearly the leader of the little group, scolded him while he took off his mask.

The others did the same, taking off the mask before setting down the bags.

"Do you think he followed us here?" Another one with an Assault rifle in his arms asked.

"Even if he did, so what? He's just a guy running around in a mask." The leader spoke once more,"What's there to be afraid of, huh!? We are 5, we have guns, why are you all still acting like scaredy cats?"

"Yes, we are 5 armed men, but still a guy running around in a mask is chasing after us. Don't you think that's a little unsettling at the least."

The leader went silent at that. Suddenly, a noise was heard from the stairs. All 5 of them immediately whipped towards the direction of the noise, raising and aiming their weapons forward.

"Larry, go check what it is." The leader commanded.

The person in question begrudgingly went forward, keeping his Uzi up and aimed at the doorway leading to the stairs. He climbed down a few steps and leaned over the railing, scouting out the 1st floor and the stairs, his Uzi raised above the railing and aimed downwards. With the darkness hindered his vision he didn't see anyone.

Larry let out a sigh of relief when he realized he was alone. He was about to return, when from the darkness something shot towards him and wrapped around his neck. Larry couldn't even let out a noise before he was suddenly pulled over the railing and fell into the darkness.

Back in the room, the others were getting impatient. "What's taking him so long?" Moe complained.

"Keep quiet Moe, we don't want to hear you whining all the time." Another of the thugs replied.

"Oh yeah, why don't you make me, Carl!" Moe angrily snarled, pointing his shotgun at Carl. Carl in turn pointed his revolver at him.

"Guys..." The final member of their team, Tylar, called out in concern.

"Shut up you two! It's not time to fight." The leader reprimanded them, putting a stop to their fight.

Suddenly, a creaking noise was heard and the thugs immediately jumped at their feet, and pointed their guns at the entrance of the room. Then footsteps were heard, along with the creaking of the old wooden panels of the floor.

The thugs stood there, their guns still held up as they heard the footsteps coming closer and closer, until it suddenly stopped.

"Larry? Is that you? It's not funny, man." Tyler called out.

But there was no answer.

"Larry, get in here right now." The leader said this time.

Suddenly, an object shot out from the dark and dropped near their feet. Before the thugs could react, the object suddenly exploded. The bright flash of the explosion, followed by the loud noise had left them disoriented. Just then, something else dashed towards them from the darkness.