Lead

The police car screeched to a halt in front of a large building near the port.

"There have been reports of screaming coming from a vacant home at 2001 Harrison Way. Possible shots fired." The transmission blared through the radio as two officers got out of the vehicle.

"Let's go." One of them said to his partner and they went forward, enter the building.

The officer on the front had his handgun drawn and held a flashlight in his other hand, while the other officer was equipped with a shotgun. With the possibility of a gun fight having taken place here, they didn't want to venture too deep without proper protection.

The dark corridors of the building struck an irre feeling in their minds. As they continued onwards, they noticed bullet casings, droplets of blood, and even bullet holes on the walls.

"Jesus,... what the hell happened here?" The other officer exclaimed, examining a bullet hole on the wall.

As they ventured deeper, they suddenly heard mummers and whimpers. Following the noise, they soon found themselves in a room, one side of which was a cage with many young women locked behind the bars. They looked scared and were murmuring among themselves that the officers weren't able to hear.

The officers rushed to the cage, wanting to help the women. The women seemingly got startled by that, some backing away, some even shrieking.

"Hey, hey, It's okay. It's okay." The officers reassured them as they approached. "We're gonna help. We're here to help."

The door of the cage was not locked. This surprised the officers as they couldn't understand why these women didn't run away by themselves if their captors had left them here like this. Maybe they were so afraid because of the punishments they must have faced when they first tried to escape? That sounded like a valid theory.

The other officer slid the shotgun back on his shoulder and went to open the cage to let the girls out, but suddenly, and surprisingly, one of the girls caught the door and closed it again.

Murmurs and whispers could be heard. "Th-the Devil","It saved us", "Is it still here?", etc were some of the sentences the officers could make out, which served to confuse them.

"We're gonna get you out of here. Okay?" The other officer said again, trying to calm them.

"The Devil..... It,... It saved us." One of the girls said.

Both officers were left confused by this, but they decided to hold their thoughts for now. One of them helped the girls to get out of the cage, escorting them out to safety, while the other one ventured deeper into the building.

Turning around a bend in one corridor, he suddenly stepped on a puddle of some liquid. Looking down at the puddle, he was horrified to see it was a puddle of blood. It seemed like the blood came from somewhere else, leaving a trail on the floor, and gathered up in one spot.

The officer followed the trail, desperate to find out where it came from. The trail led him to what seemed like another room. But when the officer entered, he stopped in his tracks. His eyes were as wide as dinner plates and he stammered and struggled to form any words.

The officer could only gasp in horror,"What the......"

...

"Astrid!"

Astrid's eyes shot open as she woke up with a gasp, scrambling on her desk to get her bearings together. She looked up at the person calling her, and saw Eret standing at the doorway leading inside her office and holding 2 go-to cups of what she assumed to be coffee, with steam still coming out of them.