CHAPTER -1

Hey everyone! I hope you all are doing good. This is to make clear that this book is a piece of fiction written by me and any sort of resemblance with real life incidents is completely a coincidence. It is my first time writing a book so please ignore slight grammatical mistakes and other errors. I hope you enjoy reading this book.

***************************************************************

"Neha, call Mahi", Advika, the editing manager of NEWS BHARAT shouted while keeping her P.A. Neha on her toes. It's 2 in the afternoon and the news office is full of hustle-bustle all around.

" You asked for me?"Mahi peeped into her senior's cabin.

"Yes", Advika replied abruptly indicating her cranky mood. " You need to go to Mahajan Hospital for an interview with its Medical Director. That hospital has launched a scheme for the poor under which they'll provide free treatment to them. Go there and collect more info about the same."

" I-I captain. On it, right away.", said Mahi while dramatically raising her toes.

" Pagal ladki", Advika smiled, " take Raunak along with you since Rishi is on leave today."

" Okayyyyy." Mahii sang along.

"How did you manage to change her gloomy mood?",Neha asked Mahi while handling the news report papers.

"Trust me, even I don't know" , Mahi replied giggling.

"Ok. now leave before Advika's temper gets raised again." , Neha said pushing Mahi towards the main door of the office.

MAHI'S POV:

As soon as we left the office, Raunak asked me, " Do you really think this scheme for helping the poor is in their interest or it is some promotional strategy?"

" I don't really know. There has not been any news of such sort of cheap games from this hospital since now. Their record has been clean as of till now." , I replied.

"Yeah. But I think that there's more to this scheme than it is visible." he added.

" You're an intern right?" I asked him.

"Yes. why?" he replied keenly.

"Nothing. Even I was like you during my internship, curious and enthusiastic. It's good to be like that and take a bit of risk sometimes. But make sure that you don't forget to be cautious while taking that risk" I told him.

"I'll keep that in mind." , he replied in a serious tone making me realise that he's not that spoiled brat sort of guy. He seems to be mature enough to understand the risks involved in our profession. We have to be careful enough while writing the news since it has the power to bring peace as well as chaos in the society.

As soon as we came out of the building, Raunak started going towards the auto stand.

" Hey! Where are you up to?" I shouted at him from behind.

He came to me and said, " Don't we need to get an auto to reach the hospital?"

" We are using the CTU (Chandigarh Transport Undertaking- local intra-city buses by government) instead. It will be cheaper." I informed him.

He nodded as we headed towards the bus stop. Soon the bus came and we successfully managed to hop on.

"I still don't trust these policies. There must be some back story happening to it. Or else who would do such a big charity for the downtrodden people." Raunak exclaimed.

"And why do you think so?" I asked curiously. This guy is something else. He seems to be so confident about his idea. I wonder what will Adrija do after she listens to his theory? Will she give him a chance to follow it?

" Last year, a similar sort of thing happened. A hospital in Mumbai started an Operation DHANYAWAD to thank all its patients who had got treated in that hospital and gave the doctors a chance for public welfare. The hospital authorities had planned a dinner for its platinum patients who paid a bill of over 5,00,000 in the treatment. And you know what happened after that.."

"The hospital people had mixed some kind of preservative in the food which caused severe food poisoning to all the people who came. And in the name of treatment, the doctors took out organs from the patients' bodies by misleading them into unrequired surgeries and operations and earned lots of money. Later on it was found out by the police that all of this was a strategy of the hospital board members for their promotion and a source of earning black money by illegally trading organs with the international mafia. I know this news. I guess you are forgetting that I am a journalist too." I added.

"Yes, I think that this concept of Mahajan Hospital is also a facade for hiding some inhuman activities of them." He nodded embarrassingly and added to my point and added " I am going to talk about this to Advika today itself."

"Wait, wait, wait, are you insane? You know this involves a lot of risk. Do you think she will agree with you? Listen, this is a serious topic. I don't think she'll agree and let you follow this. Keeping this aside, you don't even have a lead to follow."

" I have a major lead in this. And I am sure she will let me follow it after knowing that. Moreover, you were the one who was saying that it's good to take risks sometimes."

" Achha ji, let's see if our editing manager dearest will agree or not." , I said

" She has to agree if you will be the one making her agree."

"ME? Why? Why would I go to the lion's den? Story tumhari, lead tumhari, or jaake puchhu main. Kyon ?"

"Aren't you my friend? Itna nahin karogi mere liye Mahi. or fir main to tumhare chhote bhai jaisa hoon na" he said pleadingly while making a cute face.

"This is not fair Raunak."

" I seriously need you on this with me Mahi. you have that experience with you which I don't. Please agree..." he said with seriousness clearly visible in his tone. I don't know what lead he has but the conviction in his tone is not letting me back off.

" Fine. But first tell me about the lead which you have. If it won't be convincing enough, then I won't be pairing up with you. Make that clear in your mind."

"Agreed" he said gleefully. 

*************************************************************

How did you like the first chapter? Please share your views and suggestions in the comments. I would love to read themAnd do vote the chapter.

See you soon.