The Part where the flame flickers yet holds strong - Yudhistira.

Yudhistira; the Samrat, the elder brother, the dutiful son, the conscientious disciple, the Dharmaraj. Nothing seemed to make sense to the Eldest Pandava as he swept through the corridors of Hastinapur, before exiting into the little known garden. It was a sliver of peaceful haven where he could be himself.

Not the righteous Pandava, not the eldest brother and certainly not the King. Here he could just be Yudhistira.

He removed his crown and placed it reverentially on one of the many smooth faced rocks lying around and dropped down to sit on the ground. Yudhistira wanted to burst out into tears and he grabbed unto the loose top soil, letting the sharp edge of the gravel bite into the soft skin of his palms. He needed to divert the pain, he needed to cry, to scream.

Why? Why?

Yudhistira felt his breath quicken and he bit down on his lip, until he tasted the copper of blood.

His Phalgun! Oh Lord Mahadeva! What was his brother facing? What demons haunted his subconscious mind? How is he even bearing the pain? He thought for the umpteenth time.

Maharishi Vyas's arrival and the subsequent remedy as suggested by him had come as a ray of hope for them and it was soon prepared, what with all the brothers being present at Hastinapur. Though technically it was not required, Nakul, Sahadeva and even Krishna had added their blood and aura into the salve and it was applied over Arjun's wounds by the Maharishi himself.

But what Maharishi Vyas had held back from them was the utter agony Arjun's body would go through while the salve worked. The energies from the different sources had clashed and the room had, yet again, resonated with Arjun's cries.

The gut wrenching screams. The all encompassing pain filled caterwauls. With part of their essence now effectively generating its own energy, Yudhistira had seen the body of his brother being lifted off the bed and then thrashed down; repeatedly.

Vasudev had been the only one who had had the power to invade the power circle and hold unto Arjun. But even that had not made too much of a difference. The physical aspect of the pain aside, the phantoms haunting his brother's subconsciousness had made their appearance and Arjun had opened his eyes.

And Yudhistira had immediately wished that he hadn't.

Arjun's eyes had been unseeing; the pupils completely dilated and the sclera bulging out, his brother kept repeating only one name. Screaming out for his friend.

"Madhav".

"MADHAV'.

'MADHAV'. 'MADHAV'.

And despite Maharishi's instructions to the contrary, the elder brother in Yudhistira had reacted impulsively and he had placed a hand on Arjun's forehead, before he could be stopped. And what he had seen, whilst just for a fraction of a moment, had shattered the earth from underneath Yudhistira's feet.

Yudhistira had caught a glimpse of the blood-soaked lands, the mounds of human bodies, felt the heaviness of the atmosphere, smelt the stench of blood and decay and for one horrifying moment, had seen his brother being attacked by some facsimiles of themselves, of the Pandavas.

Then he had been gently drawn out by Krishna, who had, imperceptibly, shaken his head. And Samrat Yudhistira had finally realised what exactly his brother had been battling.

It had overwhelmed him; he had barely spared a glance at the concerned and questioning looks from his brothers. Absently patting Krishna's arm, silently placing him in charge, he had exited the room with alacrity and made his way to this abandoned little garden.