Chapter 3: In The Light Of Day

The Bathroom, Motel Room, Red Light District, Baltiney, New York...

       Baby blue eyes stared back at baby blue eyes as Misty Davers stood before a large bathroom mirror with her rather cold gaze fixated upon her reflection. She was still reeling from her awakening and the subsequent night's events beforehand as she noted the bags forming beneath her eyes and the slight hint of ruby red lipstick on her small lips before she turned her attention to the shower. The tub was clean and by extension the shower which she was grateful for as there were fewer and fewer opportunities to even partake in such luxuries given her profession but she had been indulged in them nonetheless. Due to the drinks and her ability to take her mind elsewhere when the act of having to bed these strange men commenced, she didn't remember much about the man who had elected to bring her to this place for the night.

She knew he was a businessman and married due to the ring on his finger when he took it upon himself to pour the drinks for them. She watched him carefully but had not been obvious enough for him to take notice. In her line of work being quick-witted and sharp-tongued could mean the difference between a good night and an unmarked grave with some of the so-called men that seemed to prowl about in the late hours.

He wasn't a bad man nor a memorable lay, but he was kind enough to take her to a motel room and not have her in the backseat of his car. It was at least something that contributed to her not only getting a good night's rest but having the chance to shower after the fact which wasn't often a treat for girls like her.

Due to being already naked upon awakening, Misty slowly stepped into the porcelain tub and began to run the shower. She braced for the oncoming spray and did her best to ignore the traces of semi-faded bruises and old scars that lined her exposed pinkish-pale flesh in the bright light of day.

Misty stood beneath the warm water as it seemed to beat against and soothe her sore and aching muscles as she began to finally relax beneath the water. Her life had not been an easy one even before she'd elected to run away from home but she managed to make due and kept herself focused on the end goal of having a safe and secure home of her own when it all had been said and done.

Despite being a streetwalker for much of her waking hours, Misty was something of a talented artist and managed to keep a few sketchbooks in secret places along her usual routes or whenever she'd been subjected to long hours of waiting before a client showed any interest in her. The only thing of any worth about her life had been her artworks. She even considered taking on another profession that involved directly inking tattoos on people, but the person who had been of the mind to teach her always seemed to want to do so so long as she spread her legs for him for free.

It was from that person that she learned a few more lessons in life about the parameters of trust and who had been the most deserving of it. The chaos that she always seemed to find herself in only intensified with each passing day no matter what option she chose to get out of her former existence.

Misty closed her eyes as the water from the silver showerhead trickled down her back. Her memory had been a chaotic pool of trial and error in the ultimate game of survival and she never forgot a single lesson. It was in a way a means of protection as she walked the streets alone in the dark and sought a means to feed herself all while battling with the world, which had proven from the very moment of her birth to have been against her.

Due to her parents being big on drugs, she refused to have anything to do with them but she had indulged in a drink or two to settle her already fried nerves when it came to the post-traumatic stress that had been much more a part of her young life than any meaningful emotion or memory from the past.

The blue-eyed blonde set to work opening up the small complimentary bar of soap and began to lather up her body before she had to venture back out into the cold cruel world and endure yet another night of a random man pumping above her on some unseemly mattress or in the backseat of his car. The booze tended to take the edge off when she had a shot or two before laying down with the strange men but she never drank enough to have her wits dulled nor her observation skills dimmed.

She'd come a long way since before the first night as she couldn't count how many men showed up to obtain her services and for the most part, she didn't want to. Misty did a bit of intense scrubbing as she lathered more soap on her soaked naked body before turning her attention toward rinsing off.

The heated water had felt surprisingly good against her skin as she stood beneath it dreading the moment when she'd have to climb out of the shower, redress, and head back out into the cold air that awaited her. It was a long while until nightfall as the day had just begun and there was no way she'd be able to snag a client so early due to the constant patrols. The man from the previous night had paid for the room and left her something in the way of change to get something to eat and a change of wardrobe before the next round of her night shift began.

She contemplated finding her way toward the old diner she passed by on occasion and possibly seeking out one of her old notebooks before turning her attention to another client who could put up with her for another night. She had hoped that it would be someone kind as she'd been dealing with an awful lot of assholes as of late.

Misty finished up her shower and climbed out of the tub dripping wet. After one last glance in the mirror, she dried off with the motel towel and committed herself to re-dressing before she gathered what little she came with and exited the room leaving everything the way it was for the housekeepers to see to it.

She got a couple of dirty looks as she passed by the staff and a few of the traveling patrons due to the red silk dress and heels she wore on her way out. There had been no doubt in her mind what she'd come to the motel for as she took her leave of the establishment, once more confronted with the biting cold of the morning after having just showered.