016 » THE SUNSET

As everyone is heading into the elevator, except for Hotch, who insists on finishing a few more things, a conversation picks up. JJ asks, mainly to Emily and I, if anyone is free to watch her kids for the night, as she is planning to go out with her husband.

"I wish I could, but I've got a date," I respond, offering an awkward smile. I rub the back of my neck nervously, hoping she will not be too upset. Besides, someone else is probably free anyway.

The elevator doors slide closed and Derek glances at me. "Your mystery person from the other day?" he asks.

I just shrug. Reid answers JJ's question by saying, "I can watch the boys. As long as it isn't like last time."

"Great, thank you, Spence," JJ responds, smiling at him.

"What happened last time?" I ask curiously, glancing at everyone.

Emily breathes out a soft laugh. "Oh, that night was fun. JJ, Garcia and I went out for drinks while Reid looked after Henry, and we came home a little late," she says.

"You came home at sunrise!" Reid exclaims in annoyance, although he is grinning slightly.

"And all three of you were wasted at Hotch's race," Morgan chimes in. The elevator pings and everyone files out. He steps towards me. "So, a second date, huh?" he teases.

"Shut up," I mutter with a small smile. I shake my head. "I'm not telling you anything about him, if that's what you're after."

"So it's a him!"

I roll my eyes. "Yes, it's a him. That's all the information you're getting."

He clicks his tongue. "I will find out who he is, trust me."

"Sure you will," I reply sarcastically, patting his shoulder lightly.

He chuckles, and we part ways, each heading to our own cars. My stomach flutters nervously as I get into my car. A mixture of anticipation and anxiety flood through my veins, making my skin tingle. I take a breath as I start the car, excited for whatever surprise it is that Jackson told me he has planned.

I switch over the CD to In Rainbows so that I do not have to drive in silence, and I start the car. Even as I leave the parking lot, my mind races through all the ideas of what Jackson wants to do tonight. My brain is still buzzing as I turn onto my street. I pass by Reid's building, and I find myself wondering about him. Immediately after, I force the thoughts of him out of my mind.

As I park outside of my apartment complex, I wait for a moment. I take a breath, running my hands through my hair, and get out of the car. A small, paranoid part of me wonders if his big, secret second date surprise is to brutally murder me, since he was being so secretive about it, but I try not to worry. I lock up the car and head inside, unable to keep the slight smile off my face.

I head up the stairs to my floor to drop off my bag and gun, before I head back down to his floor. I knock on the door, my heart skipping a beat as I wait for him to open up. As soon as he opens the door, he grins at me and I grin back.

"Y/N!" he exclaims, pulling me into a warm hug.

"Hey!" I reply, hugging him back. When we break apart, I ask, "How are you?"

"Good," he replies, his hands on my shoulders, "I'm good. I missed you, though."

"I was gone for two days," I laugh softly. He just shrugs, his smile widening. "So... what's your secret plan?"

Shaking his head, Jackson grins. "I'm not telling you yet. It's a surprise. C'mon," he responds. He steps out of his apartment and locks up. He takes my hand and leads me down the stairs and we head towards his car.