021 » THE ARGUMENT

[this chapter is the same times as the last, but events are told from y/n's pov]
(tw for abuse, referenced self harm)

I head across the parking lot, my arms wrapped around myself and my head lowered slightly. As I hurry over to Jackson's car, I glance up at him with a soft smile. He does not return it.

"Hey," I say when I reach him. "You okay?"

"I'm fine," he responds, his eyebrows drawn together slightly. "Let's just go. It's late and cold."

"I told you that you didn't have to pick me up," I reply with a slight frown.

"And I told you I would," Jackson says, narrowing his eyes. "I'm not just gonna leave you to get home by yourself."

My heart hurts a little at his harsh tone, but I push past it. "I could've easily gotten a ride from one of my coworkers."

"Just- just stop, okay? Get in the car, Y/N. I don't have the time for this."

As he walks around to the driver's side, I hesitate for a moment before opening the door and sliding in. He does not even wait for me to buckle my seatbelt before he pulls out, and I fumble to click it in place. I rest my bag between my feet, deciding to remain silent.

Jackson's grip on the steering wheel is tight, and his knuckles are going white. He is upset about something, clearly. I don't want to agitate him further, so I just look out the window. Picking at the skin around my nails, I watch the outside world blur by as he drives us back to our building. It is dark and cold, and yet he does not bother to put the heating on.

Still, I stay silent. Something is bothering him, and I don't want to get into an argument.

When we arrive at our apartment building, he walks with me up to my floor. I unlock the door but don't open it as I turn to face him. "Thanks for the ride. I'll, um, I'll see you later."

His face falls. "You don't want me to come in?" he asks, frowning slightly.

"I..." I hesitate unsurely. "I was just gonna go straight to bed, y'know? I'm, I'm pretty tired."

Rubbing his eyes, Jackson shakes his head. "No. No," he says. "C'mon, just let me come in. Just for a bit, okay? I'm stressed out."

I sigh slightly and open the door, heading inside and letting him in behind me. "Why don't you just tell me what's wrong?" I ask, leaning back against the door as I close it.

"Because it's not your business," he snaps, facing me. I watch him carefully as he runs a hand over his face, groaning slightly. "Listen, I'm sorry. I'm just, I'm stressed. But it doesn't matter."

"Why are you stressed? Jackson, please, I just want to help," I say softly, reaching out to him.

Before I can even register the movement, his hand closes around my forearm, forcing my arm back away from him. "I said, it's not your business, Y/N," he responds, his voice quiet and harsh. "So why don't you just fucking drop it, okay?"

I take a breath, my eyes scanning his face. "Okay. Okay, I'm- I'm sorry," I reply as I try to pull my arm away but he does not let go, his fingers pressing hard into my skin. "Jackson, please, you're hurting me."