10

It took hours before Reynolds was able to leave medical. Sitting up and eating helped. Imbago was told in no uncertain terms by a Board liaison that she was officially banned from the medical ward while Reynolds was at work. She took it in sullen, resentful silence, only nodding once to indicate she understood before glowering at the back of his head as he left. But she refused to leave Reynolds's side. She wouldn't even let the medical staff approach him without knowing exactly what they planned. Everyone who touched him had to be double-gloved and covered with isolation gowns. Reynolds appreciated it, even as he winced over the trouble she was making for his co-workers. He'd already been planning what he could do to apologize to them for the chaos his fellow recruits had caused. Now, he knew he'd have to find a way to make amends for his trainer, too.

     They checked his energy readings again and again. They ran IVs. They monitored his vitals. They fed him until he thought he'd vomit if he ate another bite. Finally, they let him leave.

     Imbago clung to his arm, supporting him like an invalid barely capable of walking back to their quarters. Once there, she all but forced him down onto his cot. She fussed and primped, covering him with several blankets and even fluffing his pillow. Eventually, Reynolds couldn't stand it anymore. "Hey Imbago, I'm fine, really," he said. "You can let me up, ok? Have you eaten at all today since breakfast?"

     "No," Imbago admitted. "I did not wish to leave you, and you were unconscious for a time."

     "But I'm fine now," he argued. "Why don't you go and get a bite to eat? Spend some time away from me for a while?"

     She hesitated.

     "I'm fine, Imbago!" he exclaimed, throwing off the blankets. "I'm going for a stroll, clear my head a bit. Maybe you should do the same?"

     "If you wish to walk, you should walk to the cafeteria with me," she said.

     But Reynolds held up his hand. "There is some such thing as too much quality time," he said. "Just leave me alone for a little while, ok? I need to think and clear my head. It's been a busy day." He looked at her. "I'm sorry. About what I said this morning."

     She blinked at him in surprise. "I had not thought about it."

     "Well, I have. I was way out of line, and I'm sorry. But I really do just need some time to myself." He smiled. "Go and eat, alright? I'll be fine."

     At first, he thought she'd argue. But she pinched her lips tightly together, nodded, and headed out.

     Reynolds roamed around the facility, lost in his thoughts. He couldn't help but feel guilty about what had happened. Even though he'd personally played no real part in the sequence of events, Truman and Pzinski were, while not his friends, two of the people he spent the most time with and was closest to. He could sympathize with their terror and panic when they'd accidentally shot Walsh. As he'd told the Hunters, the two had no way of knowing that what they'd done couldn't be fatal because they didn't know about Love Potion Number Nine. Once again, Reynolds privately questioned the wisdom of keeping that information from Hunter recruits. The knowledge that Walsh's wounds weren't as deadly as they'd believed would have prevented his fellow recruits from doing what they'd done to him. Of all those involved, Reynolds knew he'd been the only one in any real danger. Even those attacked during the incident hadn't been hurt nearly as much as Reynolds knew his fellows were capable of.

     Reynolds checked the time. By now, the Overseers would have passed their judgment. Truman and Pzinski would have been told about being put on report, maybe even started their disciplinary re-training. He sighed. Hopefully, the two wouldn't be sentenced to an unreasonable amount of time.