21 | rain

Roseanne's hand came up to rest upon Lisa's cheek as the rain outside grew heavier

Roseanne's hand came up to rest upon Lisa's cheek as the rain outside grew heavier. Her eyes had closed long before she'd even reached Lisa's lips, but when she had, she swore she could feel her kissing back.

Then, like a crack of lightning, she came to realize what she'd done. Covering her mouth as she fell away from the frizzy blonde and found herself on the floor. Eyes locked on the storm that brewed outside, as she came to terms with how mortified she was with herself.

While Lisa laid still, unsure if she should open her eyes just yet... or if what she thought she felt had even happened at all. As it was when a dream had just taken hold that she felt the bed shift, and a weight being pressed against her lips.

Then it was gone... and all she could hear was the rain outside, pounding on the window.

And the pounding of her own heart.

Lisa slowly opened her eyes. Letting them adjust to the darkness before she raised herself and examined the bed. No sign of another ever being there, though she knew who had, and wondered where she was.

It hadn't been long since they had first laid down. Hadn't been long since she had admitted things about her past that she previously anticipated leaving buried in a bottle. Yet somehow, Rosie got it out of her. Without saying or doing anything, beyond opening a few doors for her... and blinking some lights.

Lisa glanced to the lamp on the bedside table, her eyes drifting off it and to the window beyond as she touched her lips. Her gaze resting on the empty space on the floor ahead of it as her finger dipped between her lips, and the weight mimicked that of what she had felt.

Her hand dropped to the bed as she thought back on that feeling. On what she had said just before it happened...

"Rosie?" Her voice broke through the sound of rain and silence. "Are you there?"

Roseanne stared at Lisa's reflection from the floor. Her eyes locked on the woman who was supposed to be sleeping in the bed above...

Had she not been asleep at all?

"Rosie?" Lisa tried once more, glancing back to the lamp at her side.

She reached for the cord and unraveled it, dropping the lamp on the floor beside her and shoving it with her foot towards the window.

Staring at the empty space.

"I know you're there..." She whispered. "I just need you to show me I'm right."

Rosie shifted her gaze to the lamp and reached out, lightly grazing it with her fingertips as she lit the bulb within. Scared of what might come next...

Lisa smiled at the faint glow, and Roseanne found comfort in that reaction as she turned to face her fully.

"Thank you..." Lisa replied while her eyes lingered on the lamp. "Rosie... about what I said, I get the impression you don't mind me being... you know..."