Chapter Ten - Is It Me You're Looking For Part II

Hermione froze as the voice she hadn't heard from in 10 years rang out, perhaps a little louder than necessary around the hall. She wanted to turn around and walk away again, without giving an answer but she couldn't do that to Ginny or Harry again. She wouldn't do that.
So instead she cast her eyes to the left of Ginny at the man who was standing up from the table now and waling around to stand by his sister.

He had a certain look in his eyes. A look that Draco gave her when he was in the mood. Lust. But she was nipping that in the bud before it even had a chance to start. "Hello Ronald," she said in a curt voice. "You look -" he looked awful, but she didn't want to be rude so she simply said 'good." She didn't look at him for more than a few seconds. He reminded her of why she left. What he did, and she could feel the anger inside her.

Ron smirked. "You're looking very fit!" He blurted out as Ginny rolled her eyes. "It's been a while."

"Yes it has," she nodded. "10 years, actually."

"And yet you don't look any older. Still as beautiful as ever," he stepped closer to her, and she wanted to step back immediately, but she didn't want to anger him.

"Um....thank you?" She said not sure how to reply before turning back to Harry and Ginny. "I read that the two of you got married a few years ago. Not that I was surprised. I knew you were soulmates," she smiled as Harry glanced at Ginny and blushed.

"We did," Ginny chuckled. "Almost 7 years ago, actually. And we have a son. James Sirius Potter."

Hermione nodded. "We saw your birth announcement in the paper."

"And thank you for the gift," Harry smiled. "Actually for all the gifts and cards over the years. We..em...never knew where you were staying to send any back to you," he sighed.

But Hermione waved her hand. "Don't be silly. I never expected you to. How does it feel to be parents?"

Ginny laughed. "We are like fish out of water. We make it up as we go. James is a little prince but having a baby is hard work. He still doesn't sleep through the night, and he seems to have not outgrown the terrible twos."

"It was worse when he was teething," Harry chuckled. "One of us used to have to rock him in our arms just to get him to sleep. His little cheeks were flying off him and he was in a lot of pain."

"It's rough seeing your little one so upset and not being able to do anything to help," Hermione nodded and Harry's head snapped up to look at her. She made it sound like she knew the feeling all too well, which meant that she had a baby herself.

He was about to ask her when Ginny interrupted. "And what about you Hermione?" Ginny was never one to beat around the bush. "Why did you leave us? What did we do wrong?"

Hermione blanched. She had tried to avoid this. She could see out of the corner of her eye that Ron looked horrified. He was now shuffling from one foot to the other and nervously glancing around the room. She wondered how much he had told them of what happened that night.

"Well," she looked to Ron. "What did your brother say happened?"

Ginny smirked, knowing full well that Ron's turn of events were not entirely honest. It was Harry that answered. "He said that you left the night of the engagement party because you had been seeing someone else behind his back and had fallen in love with that person and decided that he was better suited to you than Ron was. He said you gave back your engagement ring and simply took off."

Ron wished he had a drink in his hand. He could see the rage rising in Hermione, and he knew that he had to take hold of the situation before it escalated. "You broke my heart when you left that night Hermione. It took me a long time to get over you. I love you. I don't know who that other guy was, but it doesn't matter, I forgive you."