Chapter Forty Four - In Your Memory

Hermione and Harry were standing still holding onto each other looking a little lost. They had no idea what was happening but continued to look towards the Headmistress who was beaming. "The school wanted to be able to show how appreciative we are and how proud we are. So we came up with a monument, which has been finished this summer and which will take pride of place in our front foyer." She lifted her wand off the podium and cast a non-verbal spell, twirling her wand around her head.

As she did, the space in front of the three of them at the bottom of the steps began to twinkle and glow. Hermione gave a little gasp and smiled as the floor seemed to liquidise in front of them and as the swirls moved around the area, blocking most of it from view, a large marble statue began to come into view. At first Hermione couldn't make anything out and wondered what the monument would be but as the swirling and twinkling settled she got a better look and her eyes filled with tears.

It was the three members of the trio in the centre. Harry was in the middle, his school robes on but his wand in one hand and the other stretched out holding onto a snitch. The resemblance was uncanny, the large doe eyes behind the round glasses and the messy mop of black hair. Standing to his right was Hermione and to the left was Ron. Ron was holding his broom and his wand raised like Harry's in a sort of defensive stance. The marble Hermione was standing with her hands wrapped around a book - Hogwarts: A History with her wand tucked in her fingers against the spine of the book. Her hair was less bushy than it had actually been back then. She wore a smile on her face as she looked ahead determined.
And around the bottom of the statue were others. All in place and all recognisable. Ginny, Dumbledore, Sirius, Remus, Tonk, Fred & George, Arthur, Molly, McGonagall herself, Neville, Bill, Charlie, Percy, Kingsley, Luna and to Hermione's pleasant surprise, Draco, and the gang.

It was exquisite and so special that Hermione couldn't help the tears that fell down her cheeks as Harry wrapped an arm around her. It was beautiful and both members of the trio were in awe of the gesture. Harry was fighting back tears of his own. He had missed his friends and family that were lost during the war. So much he couldn't even put it into words.

"We thought it best to include everyone who influenced your life during that battle," Professor McGonagall smiled. "This will take pride of place in our entryway." She flicked her wand and the statue lifted right over the heads of everyone in the hall. They all watched as the doors to the hall opened, and the statue moved slowly through setting itself onto the floor in the middle of the foyer. "Perfect," McGonagall smiled and clapped her hands. "Now, we also have made a few changes to the school itself." She straightened up. "We have named the school library after the young muggle born who loved to spend her free time in the library and whose knowledge and charisma are to be celebrated. So, in honour of this precious girl, our new library will henceforth be known as the Hermione Granger Malfoy Library."

A round of applause broke out among the hall with Draco, Leo, Blaise, and Theo shouting and hollering from their seats making Hermione blush.

"And I would also like to take the time to mention that we would not be here without the sacrifice and loyalty of one very brave little boy. From the day he arrived, he was targeted by students, teachers and an evil no one could even speak the name of. And yet whenever you would see him around the castle he was always smiling and loving. In honour of our dear friend and his love for Quidditch, we have renamed the pitch, the Harry Potter Stadium and we have named the Quidditch league as the Harry Potter League."

Again the hall erupted into shouts and cheers and from the table where their friends were, Ginny could be seen standing on a chair being held up by a laughing Draco and Blaise as they cheered just as loud. It made Hermione and Harry both smile in appreciation.

"Yes, well we have also named the kitchen quarters the Ron Weasley Wing for obvious reasons but given recent events he is not here for us to show our appreciation." Professor McGonagall simply shrugged knowing that he had no one to blame but himself. "So, there you have it. Just a little something from us to show our appreciation and to let future generations know just what you did to ensure that we all had a bright and more importantly a fair and equal future. Thank you both." Everyone applauded again as Hermione and Harry both hugged McGonagall before taking their seats once again.