Chapter 3

when you were making a sign in my heart

It's always lonely at the summit, that's something she'd always been told. Being lonely in a crowded room, feeling like an attraction displayed in a glass case for the world to watch, to ridicule and judge; she knows those feelings all too well. But sometimes, the loneliness crashes into her senses in the wildest and randomest of times. Maybe the fact that she climbed non-stop and only stopped to look back when she had almost reached the summit made her so lonely. She was untouchable, too beautiful and too powerful. So even though she stood at the party thrown in honour of her best friend's engagement, there were too many people ogling at her like she was a prized artefact displayed for a show and too few people attempting to make conversation. With a slow sip of her wine glass, she had to take a deep breath and remind herself she had asked for this, never mind the fact that she was unaware of exactly what she was asking for. For a business based on 70% connections and relations and 30% in the actual skill; this actress business sure was lonely. "Miss Geun, would you like to-" Her usual doll-like eyes narrowed at words for her assistant, angered by the mere attempt to suggest what she was going to. "No, of course not," She replied, nonetheless.

Maybe Chin Hwa had much more to say but words cut off, as the clicking of heels grew closer. Glare softened, and the frown turned upside down; she gently embraced the belle of the ball, or as she liked to call her. "Hwa!" Adeline seemed to glow under twinkling chandelier lights, a radiant smile on her face, "I'm sorry I couldn't make time for-" "Oh shut up Addy, it is your engagement party. Of course, you'd be busy, don't worry about me." "But still, it was ru-" "I'm telling you, it isn't!" This threw both of them in a fit of soft giggles. Their dynamics were always adorable; Adeline tried to get a word in the conversation and Chin Hwa stole the same words from the tip of her tongue and answered them.

"Of course, you remember my older brother, Joshua," Chin Hwa acknowledged the very well-known face in the modelling industry, his arm around Adeline. "Of course, it is a pleasure," She smiled, extending her hand for a shake. "The pleasure is all mine, thank you for coming," It was no secret that Joshua Hong was one of the most sought-after names in the male modelling industry but seeing him up close, she understood just why people went to great lengths just to get this man to feature in their magazine editorials. "Sis, I'll just be back," A kiss on her cheek and a polite nod at Chin Hwa and then Joshua was beelining towards the small band of equally handsome men, at the other end of the ballroom.

"Oh my God, Addy!" In an instant, Adeline saw her best friend's usually composed red-carpet expression morph into something straight out of a cheesy K-drama, to be specific the female lead's expression after seeing the male lead for the first time. "Set me up with your brother, right this instant!" Now that prompted Adeline to let out a musical laughter that rang through the entire hall, making many others look their way. "I'm not even kidding, seriously! Is he single?" Another melodious laugh from Adeline and then she was carefully wiping away the tears accumulated in her eyes from all the laughing.