A (Different) Cautionary Tale

a/n: for this story to work the way i wrote it, pretend regina didn't out janis, cady is bi, regina is bi (but obviously leans more towards girls) and aaron is just ✨there✨

regina george.

the queen bee of northshore high school. 

everyone wanted to either be regina or be with regina. 

everyone except y/n it seemed.

you see, y/n was the older sister of janis, the girl regina used to call a best friend a few years prior  but had a falling out with. y/n was a year older than the two, entering her senior year of high school. she was also the complete opposite of janis. she played sports, she had a gpa of 4.0, did extracurriculars. janis didn't do any of that, opting to hang out with damian and spend most of her time in the art room.

regina and y/n had a complicated past. after the falling out between janis and regina, y/n had drove to her house to confront her, only for it to lead to the two hooking up. they became friends with benefits before regina finally got the courage to make y/n hers after two months.

one day at lunch, regina was heading to the table where gretchen and karen already sat, but not before making a pit stop at the table where y/n was sitting with damian, janis, and aaron, pulling the girl up and into a very heated kiss. the whole cafeteria went silent as the two kissed, regina pulling away with a smug smirk on her face. she wiped the lip gloss off of y/n's lips before pecking them one more time and taking her leave.

after much explaining to janis, she begrudgingly gave her blessing and the two became the most powerful on and off couple in the school.

flash forward to now, the couple are currently off and cady heron begins her first day at northshore. she catches regina's eye after making her appearance in the cafeteria, the blonde deciding that she is going to let her sit with the plastics for the rest of the week. confused and excited to make friends, cady agrees and after lunch, heads to ap calculus.

ms. norbury is talking about limits and cady is firing off answers like a rocket when she meets y/n. she feels her heart soar when y/n turns to talk to her. "are you trying to make the rest of us look bad?" cady was at a loss for words. "i'm not trying, its just happening." y/n chuckled a little. "oh, so its like that? challenge accepted new girl." cady blushed and stuck out her hand. "i'm cady." y/n smiled and shook her hand. "y/n. it's very nice to meet you cady." cady smiled as her heart fluttered like never before. 

a couple weeks roll by and cady has officially integrated with the plastics. janis and damian's plan to take down regina was in full effect and cady felt her crush on y/n growing every day that passed. with the little help from janis and damien (a very reluctant damien) she talked to y/n enough for the girl to invite her to the annual Halloween party.

in cady's defense, no one told her that she had to dress like a slut until gretchen decided to inform a little too late. while explaining to cady how halloween worked in the states, gretchen's phone vibrated with a text from regina. after cracking under the pressure (all regina did was ask who invited cady), gretchen lets it loose that cady has a crush on y/n. reading the texts makes regina's blood boil and she decides then and there to take matters into her own hands. 

she tracks y/n down in the kitchen, the girl looking for something non-alcoholic for cady before the blonde speaks. "we need to talk." y/n turned and scoffed. "thought you were done talking to me after you dumped me for shane over the summer." regina rolls her eyes playfully. "shut up. anyways, you see that girl cady over there?" the two turn to see cady shyly waving their way. y/n nodded. "yeah. i invited her tonight." that sentence makes regina's blood boil even more. y/n was hers and she did not like sharing.