2. A Pity Friendship

Jaren settled in a corner of the cafeteria on an empty table. He was hungry, so hungry in fact that the artificial-looking hot dog in front of him looked appetising. He took a huge bite and began chewing quickly.

"Hi Jaren." Ryan sat his tray down on the table, taking the seat opposite.

"Hi," he mumbled with his mouth full. "This hot dog's actually pretty good."

"Sure..." Ryan agreed amusedly. "Anyway, are you free to hang today?"

Jaren studied his friend with pursed lips. It had been a little while since they'd hung out. "You're so clingy, Ryan," he teased.

"You force me to be. If I didn't say anything, you wouldn't even notice if I disappeared."

That made Jaren feel bad. He hoped Ryan knew how much he appreciated him sticking around. They'd been classmates since middle school and had formed a sort of friendship: a popular guy and a quiet kid, an unlikely duo. They didn't have too much in common but they got along well enough that it didn't matter.

"Sure, I'll hang out with you. What were you thinking?"

"We can go to mine, play some games?"

Jaren nodded. "That's cool with me."

They talked until the end of lunch, which rolled around all too quickly. The bell rang loudly and sent hundreds of students scurrying to their next lessons. Jaren and Ryan stood up, ready to head to their respective classes.

"So, see you after school?" Ryan asked, slinging his bag onto his back.

"You got it."

***************

"Son of a-." Ryan slammed his controller into the couch, the TV screen displaying a 5-1 soccer win to Jaren. "How did you do that?"

"That's something you'll never know," Jaren sighed contentedly. He stood up and stretched his arms over his head. "I'm going to grab a drink, you want anything?"

"Yeah, there's a few of my dad's beers in the fridge. Can you get me one?"

Why Jaren had asked, he didn't know. He knew what the answer would be before Ryan had even said it. He got some water for himself and opened the fridge for a beer for Ryan. He threw it towards him when he got back to the living room, narrowly missing his head.

"Your aim in real life is horrible," Ryan laughed as he put his phone down. Jaren sat back down beside him and took a sip of his water. He didn't miss the way Ryan watched him while he turned his can of beer over in his hands.

"What?" Jaren lowered the glass onto the table.

"No beer for you?"

"Funny, Ryan. You know I don't drink."

"One sip won't hurt."

"I just don't want to." 

That wasn't quite the whole story. The truth was Jaren was scared to try alcohol. He was afraid he'd enjoy it and of what might happen if he drank too much, like his dad. And he knew where that story ended up.

Ryan sighed. "You need to live a little, Jaren. People our age are partying while they can. You don't drink, you never come to parties, you've never even kissed a girl."

Jaren's mouth dropped open in surprise. "What's that got to do with anything? I don't need to do those things to live. It's sad if you think you do."

"I don't, but I feel like I'm having a pretty good high school experience. I want the same for you."