16. I Love You

"Okay, so take these to table four and come back for the rest," Jaren explained.

"Got it." John took the plates from his hands. "I'll be back in a flash."

"Wait a second," Jaren interrupted. "Your hair on top..."

John shook his head in an attempt to fix his hair because both his hands were filled with plates. "Better?"

It wasn't. One lock hadn't flattened, so Jaren reached up and smoothed it down. "Better, you can go now."

John disappeared out front with a smile on his face. It was his first day working at the café and he was a natural; caring and attentive, the customers liked him. His eagerness to learn was also appreciated by his colleagues. Jaren picked up another table's order and noticed Penny looking his way. He smiled at her and walked out.

The café was bustling with chatter and the clinking of cutlery. It was busy for a Tuesday, as it had been since the new year had rolled around. He looked over at John, who was serving a table of girls, one of whom wasn't being so subtle with her ogling of his... friend? Whatever they were, Jaren couldn't deny the pang he felt watching them stare at John.

John set down their food and exchanged several words with that girl. Jaren didn't miss the piece of paper she slyly folded into his hand. John pocketed it with a charming smile and left.

Jaren turned back to his own task as he approached table nine.

"A chicken salad for you and a house burger for you," he said, placing down the food. The customers thanked him and he responded with a small smile.

***************

"Heading home?" John asked as he pulled his jacket on after their shift. They stepped out the back exit into the chilly air.

"Yeah."

John glanced back at the closed door before grabbing Jaren's hand. "Come on then." They walked towards his truck; Jaren watched their hands quietly.

"It's okay. I can walk, John."

"Shut up, we've been friends for too long to still be doing this skit."

Jaren didn't argue anymore and just got in. He didn't want to make this a big deal but he couldn't help it.

"Are we just friends, John?" he blurted out when they'd been on the road for a few minutes.

"No."

"Then what?"

"Do we need a word for it? You said it yourself, we're Jaren and John. What's making you ask all of a sudden?"

"That girl earlier."

A brief pause. "The one who gave me her number?" John asked.

"Why did you take it?"

The blond sighed. "I took it because she put it into my hand and I didn't want to reject a customer, especially in front of her friends. Taking it doesn't mean I'll text her."

"How do I know that?"

They pulled up in front of his house and John proceeded to switch the engine off. He turned to face Jaren, the weight of his stare undoing Jaren's resolve already.

"Come on, Ren. You know I wouldn't."

"But you could. She's pretty, she likes you and she was brave enough to do something about it."

John reached into his pocket. He brought the piece of paper out and held it up for Jaren to see. The girl had neatly written her phone number along with her name- Rosie- and a little heart. Just as he'd read it, John began to tear it up. He kept tearing until it was nothing but tiny shreds of paper littering his car.