5. Can I Give You A Ride?

Ryan:

Do you have plans after school?

Jaren dropped his eyes to his lap and typed a message as inconspicuously as he could. He was currently in English, where the teacher was reading dramatically from Othello.

I'm headed to the library.

I can drive you. We haven't spoken for a while.

We can catch up.

It's only been four days lol.

Nothing life-changing happened.

I know, but I don't like how we left off.

Jaren couldn't deny that he felt the same and so he agreed to let Ryan drive him to the library. 

As soon as the bell rang, he fumbled past other students to get to the car park, where he found Ryan leaning against his car. He jerked his head towards the passenger seat when he spotted Jaren, who tossed his bag into the backseat.

"Hey," he said as he put his seatbelt on.

"Long time no see," Ryan said. He looked over at Jaren as he started his car up. "How was your weekend?"

"Oh, you know, the usual- working. What about you? How was your cousins'?"

"Awful. My parents always go on about how great my cousins are and why we can't be more like them. My sister and I never hear the end of it. And then when we got to their house my cousins acted like they were better than us, like they usually do. Like, brought out awards and all that shit, just to rub it in our faces. It was like we were there to praise them and that's it."

"Sounds like you had so much fun," Jaren snickered.

Ryan raised an eyebrow as he pulled up by the library. "Get out of my car, asshole."

***************

Buzz...

A few seconds later.

Buzz...

Another second.

Buzz...

Jaren flipped his phone over, the screen no longer flashing every second. He glanced up to look at John. Everyone around them was quietly working except John, who had his phone in his hands as he messaged Jaren.

When Jaren gave him a pointed look, he jutted out his bottom lip in a pout. Jaren ignored him and got back to his revision. He had exams next week and wasn't going to let John distract him from revising.

A balled-up piece of paper smacked him in the face and his head snapped up to John giggling quietly.

He reluctantly unwrapped the paper and read the untidy writing.

stop ignoring me :(

I have things to do. I'm going to leave if you don't leave me alone and do your own work.

John shook his head and mouthed 'sorry' before getting his head down. He didn't bother Jaren for the next hour. As much as Jaren appreciated the undisturbed time, he did miss the notes and texts.

Having someone want to talk to him and get to know him was a rarity, but despite wanting to pursue a friendship with John, he couldn't let him completely destroy his study regimen.