Chapter 3 - Fairy Intentions

Raven's POV

Raven really did try to pay attention in her first class, but with an empty stomach and Duchess's words echoing in her mind it was really hard to focus.

"They are probably celebrating because if the Storybook of Legends is gone then that means they finally win!"

Raven sighed at as the words slithered into her mind again. On one hand, it made sense that Duchess would think that, but that does not make it true. And also, why would say something like that out loud?

"Do other Royals think the same?" Raven wondered. She doubted Ashlynn or Dexter thought that, but she couldn't help but wonder of Apple did, even if she at least had the social awareness to not say it out loud. 

"Not that there weren't other things Apple would say..."

Raven was grateful that her first class was General Villainy, the class that her godfather, Brawley Hood-Badwolf, was assigned to teach. He seemed to notice that Raven was not up for much talking. He did not call on her or push her to speak much the whole class period. Though after the bell rang to dismiss everyone, he did ask that she stay behind for a minute to talk.

Her godfather's eyes were kind as she walked over to his desk. "How are you doing, Raven?"

Raven huffed. It was a question she expected, but did not fully know how to answer. 

"Both good and bad," Raven replied after a few heartbeats, "Somethings are better than before the whole... situation.. but then there are something that are worse."

Mr. Hood-Badwolf puffed like he expected the answer, "Yeah, I get that. Just remember that you can always come to any of us if there is a problem and you need something. Okay?"

"Okay," Raven replied, leaving feeling a bit better.

It, of course though, did not last long. The minute Raven left the classroom, she felt someone's presence beside her. Bracing herself, she turned to face... not Apple like she was expecting.

"Hey, hey Miss Should-Be-Evil-Queen!" Faybelle Thorn, daughter of Mitzi Thorn, the Dark Fairy in Sleeping Beauty, greeted Raven in a tone that Raven had trouble telling if it was cheering or mocking. The teen fairy girl was dressed in her signature black and bright blue cheerleader (though she preferred cheerhexer) uniform and was looking at Raven like she had something Faybelle wanted.

While the Fairy Kingdom had stayed neutral in the war, it was clear to pretty much everyone that Faybelle wanted to follow in her destiny of cursing the next Sleeping Beauty. Raven was not really sure why, but she really did not interact with Faybelle outside of General Villainy class so she does not really know the fairy that well.

"Uh, hey Faybelle," Raven did her best to sound wake, "Did you need something?"

"Y-E-S, yes!" the fairy girl cheered, a smirk growing on her face, "I need you to tell me where you and the Rebels hide the Story," Faybelle raised her arms up, "Book" she lifted her left leg an, honestly impressive height, "Of" she jumped up a tiny bit, her fairy wings flapping, "LEGENDS!!!" She landed in a splits in front of Raven, both blocking her way up the stairs and making Raven impressed that she can manage a splits.

Raven sighed, "Faybelle, as I said in the Castleteria, I don't know where the Book is and the Rebels have not taken it. Now if you'll excuse me," she stepped over one of Faybelle's still extended legs, "I need to get to class."

Faybelle jumps up and starts walking with her, "Yeah, yeah, just keep saying that, I'm sure the more you say it, the more people are likely to believe it." They finally got out of the dark stairway - and saw a certain Royal wait for them.

"Raven! There you are! And - Oh, Faybelle! How nice to see you! Raven, are making friends with the other villain kids! Oh I am so happy for you!"

Raven clutched her backpack straps a little tighter while she saw Faybelle roll her eyes. Without respending, raven just heads to her next class, and of course Apple and Faybelle follow her. Raven has to remind herself that Faybelle also has Magicology next, but she knows the reason Apple is coming with her.

"It will be good for you to have more villain friends! I mean, you and Faybelle have so much in common!"

"Yeah,we have sooo much in common," Faybelle sneers, "One of us is an all-powerful magic user that is ready to take her destiny head on, and the other has a panic attack at the thought of even looking at a magic mirror."

Both Raven and Apple ignore her. Raven trying to get to class before she cries and Apple because she is to busy trying to tell Raven that she should follow her destiny.

"Its not like you have to do much!" Apple was saying, just as the Magicology classroom door was in sight, "You just have to hand me one poisoned apple! Its as simple as that!"

"Apple, come off you high throne for five minutes and face the real story!" Faybelle snapped.

Both Apple and Raven whipped their heads around. Faybelle was looking at Apple with contentment while Apple had a shocked look that Raven probably matched.

She wasn't really shocked that Faybelle was feed up with Apple's rambling - Fairy Godmother knows Raven is - but was more surprised that Faybelle actually snapped back. So far, the only other person Raven has seen to full tell Apple to stop talking was Ashlynn, a fellow Royal. For a non-Royal to talk back to Apple like that, especially knowing the power and position Apple held, it takes a certain type of gutsy.

Faybelle continued, her face and tone condescending, "It is so completely, Royally and totally obvious here that Raven is 110% unfit to be your Evil Queen. She is scared of darkness, she hates evil things, she has no pride in her  wicked heritage, and she won't even take credit for stealing and hiding the Storybook of Legends."

"For the last time, I did not - " Raven started, but Faybelle cut her off.

"I, on the other hand, am more than capable of being evil and making sure you get you poisoned apple. I mean, really, do you really think Raven would making as far as the apple? She would probably chicken out before she even ordered the Huntsman to chase you into the woods! You would for sure get your poisoned apple and happy ending if you had me as you future villain!"

 It took Raven a few minutes for her brain to catch up on what Faybelle was saying (again, blame the lack of food and caffeine in her system), but when it did Raven felt like falling to her knees and crying. Faybelle was offering to take her place! To take her role! She was offering to be the Evil Queen!

"What if no one wants to be the Evil Queen? What if there is no one willing to take your story role?"

Apple's words from the Viewing After Party that rang in her mind like bells finally quieted! Someone was willing to take her role!

"This might be the thing to get Apple off my back!" Raven though, her smile growing on her face.

But that smile quickly crumbled when she looked at Apple. Rather than relief that someone was gonna be her Evil Queen, Apple looked... horrified? 

Apple was staring at Faybelle, ridged as a statue, her already pale skin somehow even paler. Her ruby red lips moved but no words came out. After a few seconds, she finally croaked out, "What - what about your story? What about - about Sleeping Beauty?"

Faybelle cackled an evil queen level laugh that made shivers run up Raven's arms, "I can do both, of course! Its not like either story can happen without its villain! What's stopping me?!"

With that, Faybelle sauntered her way to Magicology, shoving Raven and Apple out of her way.

"She is already acting like the Evil Queen," Raven remembered her mother walking that same way, even when no one else but the two of them were around.

Raven looked to Apple, who still looked shocked. Before Raven could ask what was wrong though, the bell rang and Raven hurried into the classroom, somehow feeling lighter than she did even before her first class.