Chapter 4 - Cutting Words

Briar's POV

Briar yawns, doing her best to stay awake as she takes her seat in Damsel-in-Distressing. She already falls asleep at random times thanks to the residual effects of her family's sleeping curse, but it always gets worse when she does not have a good breakfast or at least some caffeine. Neither of which she had today thanks to the food fight.

As Briar gets her books out and a sips on some tea to try and stay awake, she notices Cerise and Ramona Hood-Badwolf enter the classroom. The two sisters were notably wary of Duchess and were giving the Swan Princess harsh, guarded looks, which even Briar found warranted. She always knew Duchess was a haughty and spitefully, but she was downright cruel this morning. Briar would like to say she doesn't know what got into her, but she knows dam well what's got Duchess all ruffled up.

Duchess, despite having one of the worst fairy tale endings, was a staunch Royal and believed in preserving tradition. She already hated the Rebels on the principal that they did not follow their fairy tales, but  with the Storybook of Legends missing and her thinking that the Rebels stole it she probably thinks they are parading around like proud peacocks. 

Which is not true in the slightest! If anything the Rebels have only gotten more subdued and fearful, like they knew that the Royals would blame them and that they would be deemed "guilty" without even a trial.

The bell rang, jerking Briar from her thoughts as everyone took their seats. Madam Maid Marian took role call. All the students were here except for -

"Ms. Apple White?" Madam Marian called.

Everyone looked around. It was very weird for Apple to not be in class right on time.

"Though it is not exactly Apple has been her self these past few weeks," Briar thought.

"Maybe she ran off into the Forest," Duchess snickered.

Briar snapped her head towards Duchess. "Duchess, will you just -"

Briar was cut off by the classroom door opening and Apple walking in.

"Ms. White, there you are. Is everything alright?" Madam Marian asked, concern plainly written on her face.

Apple mumbled something that Briar couldn't make out, and judging by her expression their teacher could not either.

"Okay then, why don't you have a seat. You didn't miss anything, just attendance so I won't mark you down and this is also the first time you have been late, so don't worry about this going on your record."

Apple gave a small nod and took the nearest available seat, which just so happened to be next to Darling Charming.

"Alright then, let's get on with today's lesson."

The lesson for the day was identifying sounds, particularly sounds that might be if you are getting kidnapped or a rescue is coming. Most were nothing special. A horse galloping, dragon wings flapping, the sound of clanking armor, etc.

At some point during the lesson, Duchess starts making snarky remarks that are just unnecessary - like how she does not need to know this stuff, how boring it must be to be one of the characters who get stuck in towers - but this latest one was the worse.

"I am surprised that Madam Marian is still teaching this class," Duchess's signature snark was clear in her voice.

The recordings stopped. Madam Maid Marian fixed Duchess with a stern glare. "Ms. Swan, care to repeat that for the class?"

Duchess lifted her chin up, showing that she was not scared of the teacher, "Gladly, Mrs. Hood. I was just saying that I am surprised that you are still teaching this class, given recent events. I am just surprised that Headmaster Grimm has not kicked you all out yet since you and your people have little to no respect for Ever After's long held traditions."