Chapter 8 - Crown Flipping Conversations

Dexter's POV

"I can do this, I can do this, I can do this," Dexter repeated, over and over again in his mind as he walks through the corridor to reach Humphrey's dorm room. The two princes have a Call of Beauty gaming session today, but Dexter is also gonna use this opportunity to get the permission slip from Humphrey.

Dexter finally arrived at Humphrey's dorm and did his best to control his beating heart as Humphrey opened the door for him. He didn't know why he was nervous, it is not like Humphrey is a Royal... he is also not a Rebel either.

"What is the worse that can happen?" Dexter thought to himself as they turned on the game.

"He could hate you forever," came a voice from Dexter's head and he checked his arsenal.

"He could report you to Headmaster Milton Grimm," the voice said as he and Humphrey choice their terrain.

"You'll get kicked out of Ever After High," the voice sounded suspiciously like his father..

"Everyone will know what a failure and a disgrace you are," the voice practically shouted.

"Dex!" came Humphrey's very shout as his game character got shot in the back by an enemy, with Humphrey's following shortly there after. Humphrey let out a sigh as he lightly tossed his control in front of him.

"Sorry," Dexter mumbled, waiting for Humphrey to kick him out.

Instead, the other prince just shrugged, "No worries, man. It's just a game." The other prince gave Dexter a look over, "You okay, dude? You seem a bit more distracted lately.."

Dexter sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, "Uhh, yeah.. I'm fine just..Uh... Thinking.. about - uhh.." "Raven will hate you if you betray the Rebels!"

"Girls?" Humphrey gave a friendly smirk.

"Yeah!" Dexter said a bit quickly - and maybe to loudly, "Girls.. That's it!"

Humphrey turned to fully face Dexter, obviously eager for the new subject, "Let me guess.. the 'Rebel's Princess' Raven Queen, right?"

Dexter felt his face go furnace red and stuttered for a bit before Humphrey starts laughing, hard enough that he almost falls backward.

"Dude, chill, it's not a big deal," Humphrey huff out.

"If my parents found out it would be.." Dexter mumbles.

"Why?" Humphrey asks, a questioning look on his face.

"Because they would never approve of me one, going against my 'Destined Story', and two, would never, ever after allow me to date the daughter of the Rebel Queen."

"What do your parents have to do with it?" Humphrey gave Dexter a scrutinizing look, "Or you Fairy Tale Destiny for that matter? I thought you and your parents do not know what your story is? Especially with the Storybook of Legends being lost."

Now it was Dexter's turn to look confused. "Does he not understand how big of a deal this is?"

"Well...uhh, how do I put this.." Dexter started, "You know how my parents are like, super, duper fairy conservative Royals?" Humphrey nodded, Dexter continued, "Well, because of that, they full on support Headmaster Milton Grimm and the Royal philosophy - i.e. follow your story no matter what. So, they would not approve of anything less that the person that the Storybook of Legends assigns as my princess or damsel or whatever after you would call the person in that scenario. And if me or my siblings step out of line - we would be buried farther down in the ground than moles and field mice."