Chapter 5 - A Forest Fight

Ashlynn's POV

Ashlynn practically races out of school the second the last bell rings. For the first time in a while, she is not rushing off for a shift at the Glass Slipper, but for a date!

Ashlynn's heart and feet begin to skip as she makes her way to the Enchanted Forest, happily knowing that, even if it just for a little bit, she and Hunter will be getting some alone time -

"Apple and Ashlynn are coming!" a little dove chirped, excitement filling her song, "Princesses Apple and Ashlynn are in the Enchanted Forest!"

Ashlynn paused her movements and looked behind her. Sure enough, trailing not far behind her was Apple. The other princess was not looking directly in her direction, but it was clear that she was following her.

"What in Ever After is she doing here?" Ashlynn wondered. While it was not uncommon for Ever After High students to go to the Enchanted Forest to relax after school, Apple's recent behavior and the argument they had earlier was still fresh in her mind.

Deciding to try something, Ashlynn took a sharp turn off the well-worn path and into some bushes. While she did not really mind getting her clothes dirty - she always wore organic materials that were easy to clean whenever she went into the forest - she knew Apple was more careful with her clothes. If she really was just in the forest to get away from school, then she would have no reason to follow her through a bunch of bushes. And if she did, Ashlynn would know. Not just because of the noise but the animals will also say something really quickly.

Sure enough, not long after Ashlynn cleared the bushes, she hear the signature rustling of leaves and twigs on fabric and the voices of birds and bunnies gossiping.

"Apple White ripped her dress!"

"Oh, what a shame."

"She has twigs in her hair!"

"Why is she following Ashlynn?"

"Oh, so even the bunnies think so!" Ashlynn had had it with her friend today! Thinking quickly, Ashlynn veered to the right, she quietly headed into a dense thicket, using the tips Hunter taught her on how to walk silently through the forest, and hid in it, waiting for Apple to walk passed her. She did not have the energy to deal with anymore of her Royal vs Rebel rubbish today.

"Hi, Ashlynn!"

Ashlynn nearly jumped out of her shoes when she heard a little voice beside her. Looking down, she saw that it was not anyone terrifying, but little Pesky, Hunter's pet squirrel.

She smiled, giving the little creature a silent wave. The squirrel tilted his head.

"Are you hiding from someone?" Pesky asked.

Ashlynn nodded, pointing outside the thicket to Apple. Pesky poked him head out to look.

"Oooh, are hiding from the weird Princess who always wears red and white?" Pesky cocked his little head and swished his fluffy tail. No wonder Hunter can't help but keep him around! Ashlynn nodded again.

Pesky nodded seriously, "Gotcha, do not worry, Fair Forest Maiden, I will protect you!"

"Protect Ashlynn from who?" Ashlynn turned her head to see and little dove behind her. She did not realize how big this thicket really was.

"From the weird red princess who is following her," Pesky replied.

The dove walked out of the thicket to see what Pesky meant, and walked back in, asking with a tilt of her head, "Do you mean Apple White?"

"Yeah, who else?"

"The loud Princess from Wonderland who keeps trying to play croquet with the hedgehogs?" the dove cocked her head in a sassy kind of way.