jealous bone (c.c.) (requested)

(A/N: This oneshot was requested by Amelie419939. I hope you like it! The song in the title is a reference to the song of the same name by Patty Loveless. Now, on with the oneshot!)

       It was nearly 5PM when JV hockey practice was just about done. I was the last one on the ice, collecting pucks and picking up cones. My friends, the Ducks, along with my boyfriend, Charlie, were already back in the locker room. As I finished stacking the cones, varsity started skating out onto the ice. I saw my friend, Scott, and waved. He waved back and skated over to me.

       "Here. Let me help." Scott said, taking the bag of pucks from me.

       "Thanks." I said, readjusting my hold on the cones.

       Scott and I had become friends after the varsity/JV showdown a few weeks ago. He even confided in me about his crush on my friend, Julie. Since then, I'd been trying to think of ways to get them together. We skated off the ice and made our way towards the JV locker room, me telling him about my idea for him to ask her to the upcoming dance.

       Scott opened the locker room door for me and as I stepped inside, I felt a pair of eyes on us. Specifically, Charlie's eyes. I gave him a smile but he didn't return it, instead going back to changing out of his hockey gear. I turned to Scott, who shrugged before handing me the bag of pucks and taking his leave.

       I put the equipment away before walking over to my spot next to Charlie. I started taking off my own gear and leaned over to give Charlie his usual kiss on the cheek but he dodged it.

       "What's up, Char?" I asked with a frown.

       "What were you talking to Scooter about?" Charlie asked, matching my frown.

       My frown turned to a look of confusion. "Scooter? We were talking about-" I cut myself off as Julie walked by. I wanted to tell Charlie what we were talking about but I didn't want to spoil the surprise for Julie. "Um...nothing?"

        "Didn't look like nothing." Charlie mumbled, tying his shoes.

       "I promise you, Cap, it was nothing." I said, giving him a reassuring smile.

       Charlie looked at me for a minute before sighing and smiling back. "Okay, Y/N. I trust you."

       I gave him his kiss on the cheek and finished taking off my gear. 

~~~

       The next day afterschool, I had just closed my locker when I saw Scott walking my way with a bouquet of roses in his arms. He must have been on his way to ask Julie to the dance!

       "Hey, Scott!" I said, walking over to him.

       "Hey, Y/N! Have you seen Julie anywhere? I kind of have something to ask her." Scott said, sheepishly gesturing to the bouquet.

       "I think she's with the others in the quad. I'll walk over with you." I said with a smile.

       "Actually, could you hold these for me for a second? I forgot my math book." Scott asked.

       "Sure." I said, taking the bouquet.

       "Thanks! Be right back." Scott said before booking it down the hall.

       I stood there for a few minutes with the roses before I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw Charlie standing close to me. And he did not look happy.

       "Who are those from?" Charlie asked.

       "Oh, these? Well, Scott-"

       "Scott gave you those? What, are you two going out behind my back?" Charlie exclaimed, throwing his arms in the air.

       "What? Charlie, no!" I exclaimed back.

       "It sure looks that way!" Charlie crossed his arms across his chest. He looked like he wanted to murder the bouquet I was holding.

       Before I could respond, Scott came jogging back down the hallway.

       "Hey, guys! Thanks for holding those for me, Y/N. I hope Julie says 'yes'." Scott said as he took the roses back.

       "No problem. I know she will." I said, sending Charlie a look out of the corner of my eye.

       Waving goodbye, Scott was gone in seconds, leaving me with a confused and guilty looking Charlie.

       "So...those roses were for Julie?" Charlie asked, his arms uncrossing and falling to his sides.

       "Yeah." I said, crossing my own arms.

       "And...that's what you two were talking about yesterday?" Charlie asked, looking more and more guilty by the second.

       "Yeah." I said again.

       "Y/N..." Charlie trailed off, seemingly at a loss for words.

       "You know you got jealous over nothing, right?" I asked.

       "I guess I did." Charlie said, his gaze falling to his shoes. "I'm so sorry, Y/N."

       "I'm not gonna say 'it's okay' but I'm willing to forgive you." I said, reaching out and grabbing his hand.

        "Really?" Charlie asked, looking at me surprised.

        "Yeah. I mean, I get how it must have looked." I said, squeezing his hand.

        "I promise, Y/N, next time I won't get jealous." Charlie said. He leaned over and kissed my cheek.

        "Yeah you will." I said, knowingly.

       "Yeah, you're probably right." Charlie said with a chuckle. "But I promise I'll try to be better."

       "That's all I ask, Char. That's all I ask." I said.

       We walked out of the school, hand in hand, to the quad just in time to hear Julie's squeals of joy as Scott presented her with the bouquet. I smiled for my friends and was met with an unexpected kiss from my boyfriend. I happily kissed back, his earlier jealousy forgotten for now.

(A/N: Thanks again to Amelie419939 for the request! I hope you liked it! Requests are open so send yours in when you can! That's all for now! Until next time! Thanks!!)