chapter one

break a leg

your feet drag along the floor as you follow the guide back out to the waiting room. feeling as if your audition was a total disaster. you were thankful that you had two more auditions lined up after this one. you were almost certain it wouldn't work out with this company.

hybe. hard headed. strict. searching for perfectionists. you didn't think you had what it takes to even step into this building, but he wouldn't stand for you to think like that. he knew you deserved to show your talents to anyone who would listen, and he would make sure you did just that.

despite this first audition feeling like a total drag, you couldn't help the warmness that spread through your body as he came into your field of vision, his eyes meeting yours instantly.

"hwang hyunjin." the guide calls out his name as you slide past her. he stands up instantly, walking up to you before even greeting the guide.

"how'd it go, darling?" he asks sweetly, cupping your face in his hands. you could only shake your head, a small pout forming on your lips. it took everything in hyunjin to not kiss it away. but he made it a point to make sure there was no trace of a frown by the time you got to the next company.

"good luck." you tell him, patting down his long black hair.

"wait for me." he whispers, trailing his thumb down your jawline before finally greeting the guide with a polite bow. you smile as he disappears down the hallway, genuinely hoping his audition goes much better than yours. but because of him, you weren't giving up hope yet. so you calmly take a seat in the corner or the waiting room, eyes dancing over all of the nervous people, waiting for their turn.

a few of them had watched your interaction with hyunjin with furrowed eyebrows. the way he spoke to you, the way he touched you, and the way you looked at one another. a strange thing to do seeing as how idols couldn't date in the industry. it just wasn't plausible. of course the two of you knew that. and of course it was a conversation the two of you had consistently put off.

neither of you wanted to think about it. right now, becoming an idol was a mere dream. it wasn't a reality. and it certainly wasn't time to talk like it was. even after these auditions, you knew there was a long road ahead.

waiting for callbacks, making callbacks, passing tests and other strenuous activities given by whatever company before you're even put with the group you'll debut in. you still had time, and neither of you were going to waste that time.

before you knew it, hyunjin was making his way back
to the room, a small smile tugging at his lips as he instantly meets your eyes once again. and of course, he made me way right to you. you stand up, body flooding with anticipation and hope, hope that his audition went well.

"i think they liked me." he speaks first, reaching out to lace his fingers with yours. you smile looking down at your intertwined hands.

"i knew they would." you encourage.

"ready for round two?" he asks, leading you out of the door. next stop, sm. it certainly wasn't one you were too fond of, knowing that they are known for not treating their idols the best, but hyunjin insisted that the two of you try everywhere. stating that the more places you auditioned, the more options you'd have. wishful thinking, as if you'd get callbacks from each company. but you couldn't argue with him. you knew if anyone wanted this more than you, it was him.

"of course." you nod your head, lips mimicking his wide smile as he pulled you down the sidewalk happily. and the two of you were at the building in no time, hyunjin signing you in at the front desk as you roamed around the room, looking at the decor.

just like at hybe, the audition flew by, and you didn't feel very certain about this one either. no one had showed any sort of emotion to your audition, stone cold silence. you were fully confused, not having a single idea if they enjoyed the show you put on, or absolutely hated it. but judging by the way hyunjin came back, happily talking with the guide, you could only assume they had hated you, and loved him. you weren't jealous by any means, in fact, you were happy for him. prepared to root for him behind the scenes, be his number one fan, and hear all the juicy details about being an idol when he was inevitably successful.

and now, he was dragging you to jype. notorious with groups like twice and got7. this was the one you were most excited about, wondering if you would run into any of your favorite idols. the atmosphere was different, but not in a bad way.

the minute you finished checking in, a woman walked up to the two of you.

"would you guys like a practice room before your audition?" she asks, hyunjin's eyes going wide with excitement.

"of course!" you speak up. the woman smiles at you.

"follow me!" and with that, the two of you head down a hall. "just stay on this side of the room." she motions to the half that wasn't taken by a couple of boys you'd never seen before. maybe other auditionee's or trainee's, you weren't sure.

"thank you so much." hyunjin bows to the woman, swiftly turning on his heels as he stands up, unfortunately running straight into one of the boys. "ow— shit! i'm sorry!" he chuckles, rubbing his forehead as he checks to make sure the other guy was fine.

"all good." he chuckles, holding his hand out for hyunjin to shake. "i'm bang chan." he introduces himself.

"hyunjin, and this is my girlfriend." he motions towards you, smiling fondly as he meets your eyes for a moment. "we're auditioning today." he adds.

"is that so?" bang chan asks with a cocked eyebrow. hyunjin and i nod happily. "well, i wish you guys the best. don't mind my friends and i over here, we're just practicing a song we wrote." he motions to the two other guys, currently slumped on a couch, seemingly laughing at a joke one of them had made.

"no worries, thank you." hyunjin bows, throwing his arm around you as you head to the other side of the room. "i like it here." he states, starting to stretch.

"me too, it seems different." you agree, stretching next to him.

"right? i just have a really good feeling about this one." he smiles, pulling his phone out of his pocket to play the song you had written a dance to together. "i think we do two runs and then break, we don't want to be worn out." he suggests.

"sounds like a plan." you chuckle, fixing your ponytail as the music fills the room. you couldn't help but notice the three boys on the other side of the room stopping to watch the two of you dance. their eyes practically fixed on the two of you. you felt a little nervous under their gazes, but you didn't let it bother you. if you were going to be in this industry, that was just something you'd have to get used to.

if you were going to be in this industry.