chapter three

convince yourself it's okay

"hey baby, sorry i'm late. i hope you didn't wait too long." hyunjin's voice fills your ears as a soft kiss presses against your cheek.

"i didn't wait long." you giggle as he sits down across from you, pushing his hair off of his forehead.

"calls are in a couple of hours... how are you feeling?" he asks.

"nervous... you know i don't handle rejection well." you chuckle.

"you won't get rejected. any company would be lucky to have you." he assures, reaching over the table to lace his hand with yours.

"well how are you feeling? are you nervous?" you ask him.

"i— yeah, i'm a little nervous." he nods half-heartedly.

"hyunjin... you've been acting weird." you couldn't hold it in any longer. the phone call with bang chan, mixed with his sudden late appearances for everything you planned together.

"i know... and i'm sorry, but-"

"you can tell me anything, you know that right?" you cut him off, not wanting to hear another one of his excuses. you had had enough of them in the past few days.

"of course, i know." he nods reassuringly.

"so what's going on?" you ask.

"can we... can we talk about this after the callbacks?" you frown at him putting it off yet again, but his eyes were desperate, his lips in a slight pout.

"just... just tell me if i have to be worried or not." you state. you needed something, you wouldn't last another second in the total dark. thankfully, hyunjin seemed to understand that, but the expression along his perfect features wasn't making you feel any better.

"i really want to tell you no... but..." he trails off, not meeting your gaze.

"but i should be worried." you finish for him, he only nods, keeping his gaze on the table. you felt a pang in your chest, your stomach swirling with nerves, so much that you didn't really feel like eating anymore. hyunjin felt the same way as he slowly pushed the menu away from him.

the two of you sat there in silence, sipping on the drinks you had ordered earlier. your mind running wild with everything it could be.

was he cheating on you?

does it have anything to do with becoming an idol?

you knew which one was more likely. the way the two of you constantly avoided the conversation of where your relationship would go if one or both of you were to debut. the months of neglect seemed to be finally catching up to the two of you, and neither of you were ready for it.

you guys had talked about debuting all the time. and you'd talked about your relationship all the time. but those two things never merged together, despite the importance of them.

but he couldn't know that he was going to debut, right? callbacks weren't for a few hours. he wouldn't know. right?

hyunjin's mind was running a mile a minute, only for a different reason.