The D-Day

Bondita got off the stage. Eyes though, still searching for him.

Afterall, she's a child. Who always just admired and idealised the man that was currently putting her in a trance. So even a little care from him, could break the metres high wall around her heart down in seconds.
Leaving her vulnerable. Is that what was the cause of her downfall? Trust?

While Anirudh too focused on her from afar, his ear-to-ear smile disappeared as he saw Somnath asking her if they should leave now. She broke the eye contact with Anirudh and looked at her watch.
"5 minutes" she said. Somnath left the arena, most probably he was going to wait for her in the car.

While the two were having a story of their own going on through eyes, the ceremony wasn't withheld. Next up was Manorama.

Bondita saw her pacing in the green room earlier. Now she's about to be on the stage. Bondita wanted to see her do whatever she was going to.

But Anirudh just wanted to congratulate Bondita and so he started finding his way to her, through the crowd.

Anirudh caught Bondita's eye when he was about 3 metres away. It was then, that Manorama's words caught his attention.
"....bahut khushi milti hai mujhe, ki aaj main yahan apne dekh ke liye kuchh karke jaungi"
Her words left everyone present in the hall perplexed. What was she saying? Before anyone could react, she yelled into the microphone "BHARAT MATA KI JAI!"

With that, she pulled the string from her attire and the next moment, a deafening noise and immense light. And smoke which made it hard for people to see. All that was left was commotion and scared screams of people running here and there; wanting to be safe.

The stage was obviously, affected the most and so were the persons on the stage. Which is Manorama and Sir Viceroy general. For the better, it couldn't be figured out what was on the stage due to the smoke.

Somnath immediately reached for a scared Bondita who was covering her ears, kneeling on the floor. He helped her stand and looked for Anirudh. He was afterall, his Dada.

The search was interrupted when Bondita lost her balance and fell on the ground due to the sudden shock. Somnath picked her up and got her out to get her some fresh air. But all the entrances and exits were filled with people who'd even step on you to leave. Besides there were officials who were there for the chief guest that had to perform their duty. Somehow Somnath managed to get Bondita to the car and placed her on the backseat.
He sprinkled some water on her and warmed her hands.

It was almost 12. Should he take her straight home? Or should he just take her to the station?
There is going to be a lot of investigation from which she better stayed away.

He decided to let Bondita make her own choice. And so he woke her up sprinkling some water on her face.

She opened her eyes slowly and sat up. And her first words were "Barrister Babu kahan hain? Woh bhi the na andar?"

"Unhe Chauffeur dhundhne gaye hain. Bahar aate hi honge. Tum theek ho Boudi?" 

"Haan. Main theek hu. Lekin woh Manor-"

"Abhi iss sabke baare mein matt socho Bondita. Dekho, train ke aane ka samay hota chala hai. Tum nirnay lo, kya tumhe jaana hai hostel ya ghar jaana hai?"

Bondita thought  about it. She swallowed and decided that she wanted to leave nonetheless.
"Dada, aap sirf ghar pe sabko bata dijiyega ki main bilkul theek hu"

Somnath took the car keys and decided to drove himself since the driver would be attending Anirudh.
Both of them were unwilling to leave in a situation like this.

And the traffic and ruckus in the city was of no help either.
They somehow reached the station.

They realised the
te train was still there. It hadn't left.

Anirudh's PoV

Our Chauffeur came looking for me through gate 1.
There was no was he could hear me if I called him. I waved at him to grab his attention which I was successful in.

I signalled him to wait there and that I'd go to him. Nothing really happened to the other people including me.
I was safe since I was far away from the stage. I only hoped Bondita was fine too.
I looked for her when I got out. I searched here and there when the Driver said "Shayad chhote malik aur malkin chale gaye gaadi lekar station.."

I looked at my watch '12:07'. Panic rushed through me. Did Bondita leave? And I couldn't see her for one last time? Did she really leave. I hurriedly went towards the car as the driver followed me.

There was nothing to think, nothing else to feel and do than to drive as fast as I could to see Bondita.

I get in the car and as the engine revs, I contemplate. Maybe it's too late to regret but I already can't stand her absence. I want to make sure she's fine.
That one blast in there made me realise who I am afraid of losing.
What if we fall apart? What if she What if she blames me for life? Which she wouldn't be wrong if she does. I have hurt her.

When she was in the house, she was atleast in my sight.
I want to see her.
I need to see her.
I need to see her one last time.
Or maybe make this as not the 'last time' that I see her.

I get off the car as soon as we reached the railway station.

I ran. Ran with all my might.
There are not a lot of people here. And there are not a lot of trains either.
All I could see were short passenger trains and a few freight trains.

She's gone. She's not here.
I fall down on the cemented floor as blood is suddenly drained from my limbs.
So powerless. I felt so powerless in that moment.
Oh how I wish I could go back in time and correct everything.
Maybe I could've saved Manorama by not helping her.

Manorama also sacrificed her life. All of the people are going to ask all kinds of questions. Regarding what happened in the ceremony.
I am alone to face it.

But,
Bondita is gone. She is gone?

How did I finish so many happy families?
It's all my fault.
Bondita. Please come back to me.

I finally cry.

Pati Babu is sorry

**********
Hello. I'm here after 2 darn years. There are not going to be a lot of readers of this story anymore; Obviously so. Anyway, to all those are reading, I read the comments on the last part today only😅
Finale is like 1500 or something words away guys.
I had to atleast finish this book so there can be a 'completed' tag on it. 🌚 How've y'all been by the way? Funfact : I last updated in last winter season.
Have a good read and good year 🤍