Green-eyed Monster

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome on board on flight KE062. This is Captain Kim speaking and I have some information about our non-stop flight. Our flight time today will be thirteen hours and twenty minutes and our estimated time of arrival in Seoul is on Sunday, 06.00 local time. The weather in our route is good and the forecast says it will be cloudy in Seoul when we arrive. We remind you that if you need any special attention, all our crew will be ready to assist you. Latest update on weather at our destination will be given as we approach Incheon. Enjoy your flight." Jennie then repeats the message but in Korean this time as the plane taxies out to the runway.

After getting an okay from the ATC, the plane slowly rolls down on the runway, gaining more speed and eventually altitude as it takeoffs. Mino makes report to the North Tower while Jennie retracts the landing gear. Once they fly past the cloud, the blonde turns off the 'fasten seatbelt' sign, letting the chief flight attendant to inform the passengers that it is safe to undo their seatbelts even though the plane is still ascending in order to gain its preferable cruising altitude. Jennie does another throughout check and all five eight-inch LCD color screens—two primary flight displays, two navigation screens, engine indicator, and warning system of the crew (EICAS) screen—on the flight deck are all showing excellent information.

After the plane reaches the desired altitude, Jennie's hands are still holding on the yoke and foot plants firmly on the rudder bar. She can feel the fly-by-wire system alternating the controls Mino and her have made separately. With not much going on at the moment, she relaxes and leans back on her seat. Her mind immediately goes back to a certain beauty with long blonde hair and the pair of most beautiful chocolate eyes she has ever seen and she can't stop the upward tugs on her lips as she sighs happily.

"I hate to pop your pink bubble of happiness," Mino's voice came from the headset, breaking the happy reminiscence Jennie was having. "But it's getting too big and unbearable for this small cockpit, it starts suffocating me."

Jennie sticks out her tongue at him.

"Very mature, Romeo. Did you stick your tongue down her throat as well?"

As expected, Jennie blushes furiously. "No! We didn't—"

"I know, I know. It's only dinner, walk, yellow rose, friend request, and a peck on the cheek. You told me while we were checking the plane, twice."

The date sounds so plain when Mino sums it up like that and Jennie can't help but huff. For her, it is a very important, a very pleasant experience. The brunette is satisfied she did not commit any grave mistake that might alter the outcome of her budding relationship. With such assurance, she can relive everything, step by step, from the beginning until the end, and finds a smile gracing her lips every single time the memory invades her mind. To put it simply, it is perfect.

"You are grinning like an idiot again," Mino comments in a sing-song tone before his expression hardens into a serious one as he says, "I have something that will steer your mind away from your Rapunzel."

Jennie catches on the sudden change and feels herself tensed with anticipation. "What is it?"

"News. Bad, worse, and worst. Which one do you want to hear first?"

"Easiest first."

"The company hired a bunch of new pilots so they can start exercising the new FAA rules."

The brunette nods. "That's not so bad..."

The new FAA rules include new pilot fatigue rules. It restricts pilot flight time to eight or nine hours per shift and for two-pilot crews it is decreased from previously sixteen to just fourteen hours. It also requires pilots to get at least ten hours of rest in between shifts; eight of those must involve uninterrupted sleep, and to have thirty consecutive hours of rest each week. Jennie has predicted the mess it will cause, but Mino and her are working in two-pilot crews system for about thirteen hours flight and with average one day rest between the shift, they have covered the requirement. Jennie then groans when the big prospect of herself being tied in meetings—something that will definitely take place on the next few days—surfaces in her mind. She prefers sitting inside the cockpit rather than inside the meeting room with a dozen other pilots.