Finale

Jennie thought she has at least three more days. Thus when she wakes up from the sudden weight pressing down on her hips, she has a slight smile, which never grows into a full one. The heaviness is not quite right and while morning sex—or more like early dawn sex—is something they have developed a habit of, she knows from the constant hum of traffic outside the apartment that it is far too late for that. Peeking experimentally with one eye, almost in fear of finding what—or rather who is sitting on top of her, she instantly clenched it shut after catching glimpse of quite similar but not exactly the face she wished to see. Tousled blonde hair, glazed green eyes, pouty lips, and tears-stained cheeks.

Elisa.

Her whole body goes rigid as her brain races through everything she had read, which is a lot but yet not enough. There are still books in the nightstand and links bookmarked in her phone she has not have the time to read, all children-related. She does not expect to suddenly be another parental figure in Elisa's life, but it is also her very first time having a child involved in her romantic relationship, she does not want to mess it up for the little girl. She had told as much to Roseanne, whose assurance of it will only be another year before Elisa starts school and therefore stops being juggled between her parents does not really calm Jennie's nerves.

"Jennie," Roseanne calls, her voice darts from one end of the room to the other, "I know you're awake."

There is nothing but helplessness when Jennie cracks open her eyes and stares up at Roseanne. She is glad her girlfriend does not bend down to greet her with a kiss on the lips—yet another habit they started since she moved in—but then quickly frowns at Roseanne's stern look. She is ready to leave for work, Jennie notices with panic raises inside her chest. Roseanne is supposed to be there with her when Elisa comes by, they are supposed to sit the girl and explain to her about Jennie living with her mama for an indefinite time.

Seeing the odd constipating expression on her lover causes a smile to form on Roseanne's lips. "Something came up," she informs with barely veiled annoyance, "Stephan dropped off Elisa earlier and I couldn't get her usual sitter." Her chocolate eyes turn pleading. "Can you watch her until lunch?"

Jennie wants to scream "no" then bolts out of the bed, but one glance at Elisa has her melted on the spot and nodded her consent. Roseanne rewards her with a peck on the cheek, doing the same to her three-year old before she leaves them with a string of "don't"s. Don't act petulant. Don't eat candies. Don't forget to brush your teeth. Don't take a step to the kitchen. (Jennie is sure the last one is for her instead of Elisa.) Then she is gone, silence reigns over the whole apartment once Roseanne closes the front door.

Elisa, surprisingly, is the one who breaks the ice. "Jennie," she calls with the short 'e' that has Jennie's heart swells with fondness inside her chest, despite the tiny hand slapping on the slight lump under the cover that happens to be her breast.

"Yes, Elisa?"

Jennie dreads for the why are you here? or what are you doing in mama's bed? questions, but Elisa only yawns widely before leaning forward to rest her whole body on top of her. Jennie instinctively reaches up to rub her back and sighs. She has avoided the bullets for now.

"Sleepy?"

She feels Elisa nod her head, blonde locks shuffle slightly. As much as she does not want to move, Jennie knows she can't let the little girl sleep in such position. She can't let her sleep in their bed either, knowing Roseanne will not approve it. With the last rub, she stills her hand to support Elisa's back as she slowly rises to sit. Drowsy green orbs lock with her own onyx ones and she smiles softly. It is the closest physical contact she ever has with the toddler since they met each other a few months ago. It is not so frightening either. Jennie thinks Elisa is pretty much an angel as she tucks her in her big girl Hello Kitty themed bed.