Extra Baggage

Roseanne is restless. After the unfortunate end of her short break, she has gone back to work and inevitably leaving Jennie with Irene. The reluctant look the pilot was sending her before she walked out of the café is the only highlight of the situation. Clearly, Jennie is not interested in entertaining the cheerful co-pilot.

But with time, grows understanding... fondness... and then, love... The treacherous voice on the far back of Roseanne's head whispers for the nth time since she left the two on their own.

Three hours. For three long hours that feels like years, Roseanne is heavily distracted. Three torturous hours combating a mental battle inside her head whilst going about her job managing the planes on autopilot mode. The ATC fully comprehends how absurd, dangerous, unproductive, and so many more negativities it can and has caused her. Yet she can't stop the jealousy streak from spanning all over her heart and taking over her faculties to twist them into something dark, something she does not recognize.

The green-eyed monster.

The term comes as Roseanne hands over her headset to the night shift's ATC, fake smile plastered over her lips. The older man replies with a crooked smile of his own and several kind words about job well done, but Roseanne fails to register any of them. Instead, she nods and bids goodnight to her coworkers before leaving the control room. She does not even bother to hide the disappointed downturn on her lips when she steps into the empty hallway. Roseanne had indulged herself in the wistful thinking of Jennie waiting for her after her shift to continue their date, in order to ebb the uneasiness knotting in her stomach.

Maybe it was not a date at all. Again with the insecurity. Jennie wants to be friends.

Roseanne is aware of the madness she is trapping herself in, but she also acknowledged the advantage of Jennie's request. Being friends is like having a safety-net and the two of them are undoubtedly scared of the prospective of dating then falling apart. Different personalities, upbringings, and demanding job schedules with long hours are some of the things that can put strain on any kind of relationship. They are lucky to have met and somewhat share mutual attraction to each other at all.

The sky is already dark when Roseanne, distracted as she is, manages to board the public bus without any incident. After getting seated, she fishes her phone out of her purse to turn it on. The ride home is a quick one, but she needs to occupy herself with something—anything other than the brunette pilot. Her hope comes crashing in a complete package when the sleek black device buzzes with notification of a new text message, from Jennie.

Are you home yet?

I'm going to be within fifteen minutes. Roseanne hesitates for a second before adding, How was your day with Irene? She stares at her phone, willing the screen to light up again, for there is no immediate response after a couple of minutes she has sent the message. I'm sorry, forget| She has not finished typing a new message when Jennie's replies come in.

Boring!

I'd rather spend more time with you.

Is it okay?

What is? Roseanne types back, feigning innocent even when the heat creeping up from her chest to her neck is a good indicator of her awareness of what Jennie is asking about. Maybe you need to spend more time with her then you'll find her no longer boring. Lie, but she can't possibly tell Jennie to stay away from Irene. She is her co-pilot, after all.

I had spent and from now on, will spend more than twelve hours with her.

Every. Single. Day.