Bella Notte

Roseanne smiles timidly. "I hope you are okay with Italian food." She waits with bated breath as Jennie nods and takes an experimental bite from the pasta.

"It's really good."

A relief sigh leaves Roseanne in a rush. "It's the only other decent food I can cook within limited time," she informs whilst taking up her fork.

"What's the other one?"

Jennie is careful not to talk with her mouth full, but she already twirls a good amount of pasta on her fork, ready to shovel it into her mouth. She was not lying when she said she was hungry. Preparing for a date has always frayed her nerves and left her with growling stomach. She is, however, surprised because she has not considered keeping good appearance and eating slowly like one supposed to do during dates. Roseanne had just slapped a child's existence on her face; she should not mind Jennie eating a little faster.

"Mac and cheese."

Jennie laughs lightly. "Better than my instant noodles."

"The rest of it is Elisa's idea, actually."

The uneasiness comes back. It never really leaves, though. Because from where Jennie sits, she can see not only the yellow tulips inside the vase on the breakfast bar, but also the booster seat on the far corner of the kitchen behind Roseanne. And colorful drawing of stick figures on the fridge. And the used pink Sippy cup by the sink. She does not need Roseanne to remind her about Elisa, because the little girl is everywhere even when she is not physically there.

In a vain attempt to dissipate the tension, Roseanne hastily adds, "When she found out about the meal I planned to cook, she nagged me non-stop to make it like more like the date in Lady and the Tramp." She gestures to their surroundings, hoping the pilot catch on the reference.

Of course Jennie does. The candles, wine, and violin playing in the background are too common of a romantic candlelight dinner scene, but the meal of choice combined with checkered red-white tablecloth is a glaring pointer. "You should play Bella Notte," she chuckles teasingly, but soon her eyes bulge when Roseanne pushes another button on the tiny remote she keeps by her side and the exact song replaces the violin. "Elisa's idea again?"

"No," Roseanne grins in triumph, "Mine."

Jennie smiles back, but says nothing. They continue eating in comfortable silence until the song ends and another Disney song blares through the speakers, Hakuna Matata. Both women jolt up slightly when the loud music begins. Roseanne turns it back to the violin from earlier; she avoids creating too much distraction that does nothing to help the situation. Jennie is about to finish her meal, while Roseanne is far slower than her, when she decides to bring back the topic. They can't sit on it too long and can only stall for so long.

"So... A daughter, huh?" Not the brightest or clearest question and Jennie flinches after the words left her mouth. She takes a sizeable gulp of wine to steel herself as Roseanne's intrigued eyes meet her. "You never told me you have a daughter." Not even the light tone can hide the betrayal seeping from the statement.

"Yes, I carried her for nine months and two weeks."

A brow cocks up high on Jennie's temple, as if saying isn't it what having a daughter normally means?

"Elisa is my half-brother's." Mistaking the combination of shock and horror spilling all over Jennie's face as confusion from Elisa's evident Caucasian characteristics—instead of stemming from the incestuous presumption the blonde actually has—Roseanne continues on her explanation, "We have different mother."

Jennie doubts her jaw can drop any lower without having a physician to set them back. "Your brother impregnated you?!" She tries not to act hysterical, but it is too much even for her.