|Muse|Vincent Sinclair

Art and music were the two things that kept you going in life. The combination of the two made your soul ignite and, I know it may sound corny, it made you happier than anything else could. The vibe and energy of the music you played mixed with your hands moving almost on autopilot was euphoric.

Your fantasy land slipped away as you heard the door of your workspace creak open. You set down your paint brush and looked behind you.

"Hey, love, did you need something?" You gave a warm smile to Vincent. He had his mask off and his hair covering the half of his face that was deformed. He would rarely do it, but it was always a nice surprise when he did. Vincent walked to you and grabbed a nearby stool, dragging it next to yours. He sat down and placed his head on your shoulder, staring unblinking at the canvas on your desk. You turned your head to him and kissed his forehead.

"You okay, dove?" You asked. He didn't respond, only fiddling with your short sleeve. "Vincent." You spoke in a more serious tone. He now looked up at you. "Tell me what's wrong. Now." You placed my fingertips under his chin and tilted his face towards your gaze. He made a small gesture to his face and you sighed. "You feeling bad 'bout it again?" You asked quietly. He nodded. You rubbed his cheek with your thumb.

"It's alright, Vince. I don't mind it, and neither should you. It doesn't stop you from doing normal, everyday things, does it?" He shook his head 'no'. "And were you able to control how it looked?" He shook his head again. "Then stop beating yourself up about it." You grinned and kissed the tip of his nose. He gave you a small smile before sitting up. You put your hand near his hair before stopping yourself. "May I?" He slowly nodded. You continued your movement, brushing his hair from his face to behind his ear. "There's that handsome face." You smiled and tilted your head slightly. Vincent placed his hand on your and snuggled into your palm.

"Love you, Y/n." He whispered, his voice scratchy.

"I love you too, Vincent." You studied his disfigured skin. The various shades of red, some deep purples, his facial bones revealed, the barely visible grays... you need to paint him one of these days. Perhaps today. How beautiful he'd look upon a canvas. You noticed his nervous expression and you peeled your gaze from his face. "I really do think you look handsome." You gave him a reassuring smile. He nodded. You turned to your current painting, hesitating. You picked up the canvas and set it on the ground beside your workspace. You grabbed a blank canvas and set it in front of you. You turned to Vincent and smiled at him.

"Hm?" He hummed in confusion. He began to fidget and pick at his fingers.

"Can I paint you, Vince?" You waited patiently for his answer. He hesitantly nodded. "Can you sit in front of me?" He nodded again and moved the stool to sit behind your canvas. He looked at you nervously, most likely wanting to hide. You gave him a reassuring smile. "It's alright, love. Nobody else is here. It's just us." You quietly spoke.

"Okay." You heard him mumble. You began to sketch out your partner's head shape, then drawing his facial structure, then some details. You kept glancing between him and the sketch. It had to be perfect. Once you had decided that they looked identical, you began to paint the base layer of his skin. You painted the right (your right) side of his face. It was quite boring, just the normal coloring process. Once you'd finished that side of the portrait, you moved to the other side. This was going to be fun. You looked up to Vincent. He seemed a tad bit calmer, but still antsy.

"Love, can you sit up a little bit? I can't see your face very well." He gazed at you before straightening his posture. The shadows that once covered him were now replaced with the outside light. It highlighted every color, every bone, every deep scar, it was truly wonderous. Your mouth slightly opened as you stared at him. His eyes widened and he quickly covered the side of his face with his hair, his posture returning to a hunched position. You frowned.

"I'm sorry for staring, Vince." You spoke quietly. "You're a work of art to me that I can't help but admire. You're my muse." You rolled your wrists to rid yourself of getting a cramp. "Again, I'm sorry for staring." You spoke sheepishly as you moved your gaze to your canvas. You grazed your fingers down the sides of the canvas before you lifted it from the easel. "We can do this later when you're more comfortable, okay?" You looked back to him and gave him a soft smile. He nodded, still staring at the ground.

You stood up and walked to him. You cupped his cheeks in your hands and tilted his head up, his gaze moving to yours. You bent down and kissed his forehead before brushing your thumb against his cheek.

"Are you hungry? I know a good place that's not too far from here. And don't worry, you won't have to get out of the car." Vincent's lips curved into a smile as he nodded.

"Sounds good." He stood up and slipped his hand into yours. He quickly placed a small kiss on your cheek and you grinned at him.

'Maybe tomorrow he'll be more open.' You thought to yourself. You didn't want to make him uncomfortable, that was the last thing you'd ever wish, but you wanted him to be more confident in his appearance. Hopefully you'd help dissolve the walls he'd put up. Until then, you focused your attention on lunch.