|Happy Birthday|Thomas Hewitt

F/d = favorite dessert

Today was your birthday. To you, it was the worst day of the year. You'd stopped counting anyways. You'd honestly forgotten about the day and went about your business. Except, you couldn't hide from it. Thomas had somehow figured out the day you were brought into this god-forsaken world and wanted to surprise you.

You closed the cover of your newly read book. It was adventure. Though you weren't a particular fan of the genre, this book was enjoyable. You were tempted to go to the 'Young Adult' section of the library, though you weren't one. You'd read almost all the books in the 'Adult Section'—the majority of them being romance—and you wanted something new, something simpler. You stood up from your chair and walked into the 'Adult Section', put the book back where you found it, and made your way to the 'Young Adult' aisles.

You scanned the titles on the top shelf of a wall. 'Nothing, nothing, nothing. Gosh, why is it so hard to find something to read?' You questioned inside your head. You closed your eyes and pressed the tip of your pointer finger against the spine of the book in front of you. You walked sideways as you trailed your finger along the spines. After a few steps, you stopped. You opened your eyes and looked at the book your finger had landed on. You hummed as you pulled the book from the shelf and returned to your earlier reading spot at a small table. You cracked the book open to the first page, taking a breath of the "new book" smell that wafted from the pages. You began to read the words, quickly getting lost in the lines that produced a movie in your mind.

The introduction to the chapter was interesting. It was a—

Buzz! Buzz!

You pulled your flip phone from your pocket as you looked at the new message.

Tommy: Hey Y/n

It was Thomas. You then texted him back.

Me: Ello love

Tommy: When are you coming home?

Thomas' message came a moment afterward. You looked at the watch on your wrist. It was currently 2:35.

Me: I was planning on 3, why?

Tommy: Where are you? I'll pick you up

You were slightly surprised.

Me: At the library. Did something happen?

Tommy: no

You rolled your eyes. "Well that's helpful." You sighed. You were still concerned. Thomas had a tendency to down play things that happened and you were hoping this wasn't one of those days.

You walked to the librarian's counter and checked out the book. You grabbed a bookmark from a small plastic container and thanked the librarian. You then walked outside and sat down on a small bench, waiting for Thomas to show up. You cracked the book open and turned the first few pages until the story began. A few minutes of reading later, the sputtering of a truck broke you from your trance. You looked up to see the familiar vehicle that Thomas owned. You put the bookmark in your book and snapped the book closed. You hopped up and walked to the truck. You walked around the front of the vehicle and opened the passenger door. You buckled up and looked to Thomas as he sped off. 

"Is everything okay, love? Are you sure nothing happened? Thomas just nodded, keeping his eyes on the road. You looked out the windshield and nervously bit your nails. The rest of the car ride was silent. Besides the constant swirling thoughts in your head that left you with more questions than answers. When you arrived back at the Hewitt property, everything looked in order. So far, so good. Thomas turned off the car and you both stepped out of the vehicle. Thomas walked to your side and held your hand. His eyes closed slightly, indicating that he was smiling. How cute! Your worry quickly vanished as you squeezed his hand, smiling back. He led you to the front door and opened it, stepping aside and holding it for you. You nodded your head and walked inside. He walked in after you and excitedly but gently pushed you to the kitchen. You gasped as you saw a freshly baked f/d sitting on the kitchen counter. 

"Wha—what's all this? It's not our anniversary, or Valentine's day..." You spoke your thoughts aloud. Thomas handed you a mini calendar. You looked down at the date circled in red. 'Y'n's birthday', it read. You teared up at it. You looked back up to Thomas with the biggest smile you could muster. "Thank you, Tommy. You've no idea how much this means to me." You wrapped your arms around the large man and squeezed him. He hugged you and picked you up, spinning you in the air. You giggled as he set you down. You placed your hands in his and once again thanked him. "C'mon, I don't wanna eat this alone." You brought him to the kitchen counter and gave him a piece of the f/d. You turned away from him as you both ate. "I was so scared something bad happened! My goodness, I can't believe it. I need to stop getting' so hung up on things!" You shook your head. 

You felt a small tap on your shoulder and you turned your head. Thomas held a small brown box in his hands, outstretched to you. You shook your head with a smile on your face. "Oh, you didn't need to do all this, love." He gestured the gift towards you so you took it from his hands. He pulled a chair up next to you and sat down, eagerly watching your movements. You opened the box and grabbed the small gift. Your eyes widened as you looked at the gemstone. "This is gorgeous! How did you afford this?" You looked up to his happy eyes. 

'Don't worry about it.' His hands moved smoothly as he signed to you. 

"Oh?" You raised your eyebrow and gave him a playful look. "Dear, did you maybe, perhaps, steal this from someone?" You leaned towards him. He shrugged and looked away from your gaze. "Well, I think it looks beautiful for being free." You grinned. He nodded. 

'I Agree.' He quickly signed. 

Maybe your birthday wouldn't be so bad anymore. Now that you had Thomas, you wouldn't be so lonely during your loneliest time of the year.