24. AJ

I was in my office when I smelt a familiar scent in the air and clenched my jaw. Ashton has been visiting Ajax a lot more frequently since they became friends and as much as I wanted to tell him to not come over, I didn't want Ajax to be upset with by rejecting his friend. I sighed and rubbed my face as I ignored the scent of the wolf and turned back to the piles of paperwork on my desk.

A knock on my door made me look up and call at the person on the other side to enter.

"I'm still wondering how yon still haven't told Ajax to not invite that guy over," Dillon said as he walked in and sat across from me once he closed the door behind hm, "if Jake had a mate before me and was rejected and then said mate wanted to be friends with him, I'd be pissed and would tell him to not invite him to the pack house."

I leaned back in my chair, rubbing the ache that had formed in my temples. "You forget, Dillon, that our mates are different," I responded, trying to keep my frustration at bay. "Ajax is kind-hearted and generous, always looking for the best in people. Whereas your mate is hardheaded and stubborn, making it difficult for you at times. It's not the same situation."

Dillon's expression softened, his eyes searching mine for a trace of understanding. "I know they're different, but it doesn't change the fact that Ashton rejected Ajax once before," he argued, his voice filled with concern. "What if he changes his mind again? What if Ajax gets hurt in the process? We need to protect him."

I sighed, feeling the weight of responsibility as a mate and protector of my pack weighing heavily on my shoulders. Dillon had made a valid point, one that had been gnawing at the back of my mind for months. But I couldn't bring myself to hurt Ajax by rejecting his newfound friendship.

"I'll talk to Ajax," I said firmly, my voice full of determination. "I'll voice my concerns and make sure he understands the risks involved. But I won't forbid him from having friends. Ajax deserves to be happy, and if Ashton brings him joy, then I'll learn to accept it."

Dillon nodded before sighing, "and you're right, Jake is true melt stubborn man I've ever met in my life." I chucked as he shook his head, "he's going to drive me to an early grave."

I laughed at his words and said, "what did he do this time?"

"He decided to renovate our entire house without consulting me first," he said shaking his head and I raised a brow, "the house looks as if a tornado struck it."

We both burst into laughter, the tension dissipating from the room. It felt good to talk to Dillon, to confide in him my worries and frustrations. He understood the challenges I faced as Alpha, as a mate, and as a friend.

As we continued to share stories and laughter, I felt a renewed sense of determination. Yes, there were risks in allowing Ashton into our lives, but there were also rewards. If Ajax found happiness and friendship with him, then perhaps it was worth the potential heartache in the end.

Sometimes, in order to protect those we love, we have to learn to let go of our own fears and trust in their judgment. And as the Alpha, it was my duty to create a pack where love and acceptance prevailed, even in the face of uncertainty.

****

>AJ?< Ajax's voice echoed in my mind as I walked along side Dillon. We decided to patrol the territory to ensure there were no rogues lingerie in the area. The last thing I needed was to have another attack so close together. It's inky been a few weeks since then, but still, you could never be too careful.

>Yes love?< I asked as I scanned the area, my ears on high alert for any unfamiliar sounds as I sniffed the air for scents that didn't belong to the pack.

>Would it be okay if Ashton staid for dinner tonight?< I sighed and if I was in human form, I would have e rubbed my face and ran my fingers through my hair.

>Thats fine, love<

When we decided that there was no impending threat to the pack, Dillon and I headed back to the pack house.

"Let me know how dinner goes with your mate and his mate," Dillon said before he walked towards his own home a few feet away. I rolled my eyes.

"And tell me how renovations go at yours!" I called after him and he laughed as he stuck his middle finger in the air.

I walked into the pack house, the smell of a delicious meal wafting through the air. Ajax had taken it upon himself to prepare dinner for Ashton's visit, his excitement evident in the way he moved around the kitchen. The table was beautifully set, adorned with candles and a bouquet of wildflowers that Ajax had picked earlier that day.

Ashton sat at the table, a warm smile on his face as he watched Ajax's every move. They had become fast friends, their bond growing stronger with each passing day. I couldn't deny the happiness that radiated from Ajax whenever Ashton was around, and it eased some of the worries that had been consuming me.

I took a seat at the table, my heart filled with a mix of emotions. On one hand, I was proud of Ajax, proud of the kind and caring heart he possessed. But on the other hand, I couldn't help but worry about the risks involved in opening himself up to Ashton once again. Ajax was pure in every sense of the word and he trusts easily which was both a good and bad thing. I didn't want him getting hurt again but I supposed all I can do is watch and see what happens.

I know Ashton still hasn't found his mate which could be another reason why he's over constantly. Perhaps one day in the near future the young man will find his second chance mate as Ajax had done when we met.

"Thank you for allowing me to be part of Ajax and baby Athena's lives, Alpha AJ," Ashton said once we had finished dinner and Ajax had gone to check on our baby who has woken for her dinner.

"I'm not doing it for you," I said and he nodded in understanding,"know that if you hurt my mate, I will kill you not giving a rats ass what your siblings or Beau say. Ajax has suffered enough and I don't want him hurt."
Ashton's eyes widened at my words, his expression filled with a mixture of gratitude and determination. "I would never intentionally hurt Ajax, Alpha AJ. He means the world to me, and I only want to see him happy."

I studied Ashton for a moment, searching for any signs of deception. His sincerity shone through, and I believed him. There was something genuine about his words, something that reassured me that he meant no harm. And yet, a small part of me couldn't shake off the memories of Ajax's past heartbreak and the fear of history repeating itself.

"Alpha AJ, I understand your concerns," Ashton continued, his voice steady. "I know I hurt Ajax before, and I regret it every day. But I've changed, and I want to make things right. I want to be a good friend to Ajax and support him in any way I can."

I regarded Ashton with a newfound respect. It takes courage to own up to past mistakes and work towards redemption. He seemed so sincere, so genuine in his desire to make amends. My defensive walls began to crumble as a renewed sense of hope blossomed within me.

"Very well then," I said, my voice softening. "But remember, I'm watching. If you ever break Ajax's trust again, I won't hold back."

Ashton nodded, the weight of my warning evident in his eyes. He understood the consequences of his actions, and I could only hope that he would stay true to his word.