The Storm Rages On

I look up at him in disbelief. "I'm not going to melt out there you know" I chuckle looking out the window "Yes but if you go out with the weather like this there's a chance you'll get lost again and an even higher chance you'll get hurt or sick" he looks back at me knowingly.

As thunder crashes outside again I realize he's right. The outfit I'm wearing. is not suited for this weather. If I tried to consult the map it would just get soaked as well. There was no use wasting my breath on arguments, I was stuck here until the storm cleared.

Inanna wags her tail happily seeming to. realize I won't be leaving just yet. She nuzzles her snout against my leg urging me to pet her. Muriel clears his, throat seeming uncomfortable with our predicament. "Would you like something, to eat or drink?..." he asks awkwardly.

"That sounds lovely. What do you have?" I look up at him curiously "Well I have tea and I was going to make potato soup for dinner tonight. There should be enough for both of us." He replies looking towards the kitchen "Sure that's good, with me." I give him a thumbs-up and smile.

Muriel leads me to the kitchen ushering me to sit down at the table. He begins rummaging through the cupboards pulling out a large pot and kettle. He fills them both with water and places them on the stove to boil.

The Kitchen was, cozy too, with a rustic wooden table in the center and mismatched chairs surrounding it. The walls were lined with shelves that held various jars and bundles of herbs. As well as cookbooks, candles, and other little knick-knacks scattered around.

"I'm going to get some potatoes from the root cellar real quick," Muriel says opening a wooden door. "Is there anything I can do to help?" I ask rising from the table. Muriel turns back to me lost in thought for a moment "You can peel those onions on the counter for me if you want and keep an eye on the water" he replies before heading down a creeky set of stairs. "Okay will do!" I get up from the table and grab two yellow onions.

I find a trashcan in the corner of the kitchen and begin peeling the onions. letting the papery skin fall into it. After I'm done I place the peeled onions on the cutting board. I head to the stove as the kettle whistles. I take the kettle off of the hot eye of the stove and place it on the counter.

Muriel makes his way back upstairs carrying a sack of potatoes and what looks like cured ham. "Ah, tea is ready," he says placing the soup ingredients on the table and wiping off his hands.

"How do you like your tea?" he turns back to me expectantly. "Oh two spoonfuls of sugar and one spoonful of honey" I reply as he pulls out two cups from an overhead cabinet.

"You like it sweet huh?" he chuckles adding the water to the cups and mixing in the sugar and honey. "Yeah always have since I was little" I smile at him as he brings me my cup.

"Thank you" I take a sip and sigh content as the warm liquid soothes my throat. "You're welcome" Muriel replies taking a sip of his tea before placing it on the table to prepare dinner.

"I can peel the potatoes if you want" I offer eyeing the bag. He nods pulling out a potato peeler from a wooden drawer and sliding it over to me along with a bowl to place the peeled potatoes in. As I peel the potatoes, Muriel cuts up the onions and soon we have the ingredients prepped for the soup.

"We make a good team" I smirk plopping the potatoes in the boiling water. Muriel retrieves a pan from another cupboard and places it on the stove."Y-yeah I guess..." He says awkwardly trying to hide his blush as he splashes oil into the pan. I hand him strips of ham to sear.

The room is quickly filled with the savory smell making my mouth water. After the Ham's done, I hand Muriel the onions as I dice the meat into bite-sized pieces. When the potatoes are soft Muriel adds butter, milk, and cheese to the mix seasoning it with salt and pepper.

Muriel offers me a mallet to mash the potatoes to thicken the soup. I take it gladly and turn the potatoes to mush satisfyingly. After the potatoes are pulverized we add the ham and onions and mix them in.

"Well that should do it," We both lean over the pot admiring our work. "We could eat it now or wait a little bit so the flavors can simmer it's up to you" He looks back to me waiting for my response. "I can wait" I place a lid on the pot and return to my seat at the table.

Thunder rumbles outside sending vibrations through the floor. "Wow, it's coming down out there" I look outside as rain hammers loudly on the kitchen windows. Muriel takes a seat across the table from me taking a sip of tea.

"You see why I didn't want you out there?" he looks towards the window too. "Yeah, I'm glad you didn't let me" I chuckle before looking back at him, "Thank you for letting me stay" I smile at him appreciatively.

He nods looking away taking another sip from his cup. "Soup should be ready now..." Muriel gets up from the table ladling the soup into two bowls and bringing them to the table. "Here" he slides a bowl over to me as my nose is flooded with the delicious aroma.