A Moment's Silence

I place the honey on a table next to the fur-covered couch. Inanna happily licks my face. Obviously wanting any remnants of honey I had left on me.

Muriel sets the plate down on the counter and turns around, his face still flushed."Inanna enough!" I giggle as she jumps up slobbering all over me.

Muriel chuckles, "She seems quite fond of you. She must like sweet things too," he says walking back into the living room.

I blush at the way he says this. He's probably just talking about the honey but... there's something more there. Like he's calling me "Sweet"

"Haha yeah" I laugh awkwardly finally pushing her off of me. Muriel smiles softly, "Well, I hope you don't mind me saying so but you have a lovely laugh"

"Aww thank you" I wipe my face on my shirt before smiling softly at him. Muriel looks at me for a moment before slowly stepping closer.

"Muriel?" I look at him blushing slightly. Muriel swallows hard, his eyes locked on mine. "I know I already said sorry but," He pauses taking another step closer."I-I wanted to apologize for how we met earlier today... I didn't mean to make you scared or uncomfortable." He stammers out softly.

Is that what this I'd about? I shake my head dismissively "It's ok. You aren't now that's what matters..." I look at him reassuringly "In fact, you've been an excellent host so far."

Muriel smiles hesitantly at my words. "T-Thank you." He murmurs before taking another step closer. His fingers twitch at his sides looking slightly ancy.

My heart begins to skip a beat realizing you're not stopping your approach towards me."Y-you okay?" I stammer nervously not sure what he really intends to do.

Muriel's gaze flickers down to my lips before looking back up into my eyes. His hands tremble slightly as he reaches out tentatively, brushing against my arm. His face flushed with anticipation.

Muriel's breath hitches as if snapping from a daze "I..." He hesitates, trying to find the words. "You make me..." He struggles to speak.

Inanna nudges the back of my leg causing me to stumble forward. Muriel's arms wrap around me tightly, holding me close to him.

I can hear his heart beating rapidly in his chest just as mine was now. I take in his scent. The intoxicating smell of sandalwood and myrrh flood my nose.

"Muriel..." I begin softly. He looks down at me not saying a word but I know he's listening. "W-what were you going to say?" I ask looking up at him to meet his gaze.

Muriel's eyes widen slightly as he looks down into mine. His heart still thudding loudly in his chest. "I... I was going to say," He swallows hard, taking a deep breath. "You make me feel less alone..." He whispers softly.

I smile at him blushing "I thought you didn't like people"Muriel shakes his head slightly, "You... You're different." He murmurs, his voice barely above a whisper. "I don't know why but I just want to be near you." He brushes a stray hair out of my face "I want to protect you. I want..." his voice trails off stopping himself.

"Want what?..." I ask my face a deep shade of red now. Muriel hesitates looking slightly afraid. "Muriel..." I look into his eyes stroking his cheek gently.

"Tell me." I usher him to speak. Finally, he whispers, "I want to kiss you..."